1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

housing for PGDE students

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by teachaaaaaa, Mar 22, 2012.

1. so...

I have now got a place at Strathclyde to do my PGDE starting this year. However, I do not fancy the idea of moving back in with my parents (its commutable but not convenient) - so am wondering where to look for affordable accommodation while I am studying. Also I want my placements to be more urban than rural if possible (i dont have a car) so I heard they try to take your travel time into account when allocating them. If I live in Central Glasgow maybe the chance of being sent to South Ayrshire or something will be less...

I know there are halls, and while I LOVED them in my undergrad 1st year, I think I may be somewhat irritated by their behaviour when I have placements and they wanna party till 4am!

Also, we are sort of different to most postgrads too so I am not sure I would fit in to the reserved postgrad halls either...so what to do? ^^

So...is there a good place to look for PGDE student shares, or studios or such likes? My friend did hers in London and she met some really good people to move in with - but that is London - Glasgow is a little smaller...

Any advice welcome!

2. so...

I have now got a place at Strathclyde to do my PGDE starting this year. However, I do not fancy the idea of moving back in with my parents (its commutable but not convenient) - so am wondering where to look for affordable accommodation while I am studying. Also I want my placements to be more urban than rural if possible (i dont have a car) so I heard they try to take your travel time into account when allocating them. If I live in Central Glasgow maybe the chance of being sent to South Ayrshire or something will be less...

I know there are halls, and while I LOVED them in my undergrad 1st year, I think I may be somewhat irritated by their behaviour when I have placements and they wanna party till 4am!

Also, we are sort of different to most postgrads too so I am not sure I would fit in to the reserved postgrad halls either...so what to do? ^^

So...is there a good place to look for PGDE student shares, or studios or such likes? My friend did hers in London and she met some really good people to move in with - but that is London - Glasgow is a little smaller...

Any advice welcome!

3. Halls are an option for PGDE. Strathclyde have post grad halls that have blocks purely for the PGDE students, however I'm not too sure how cheap they are. i'm not sure about contacting other prospective PGDE students re shared accomodation (my tutor never revealed other people in my class, we all met when we turned up in August).
    placements are allocated depending on where you are staying and they also consider if you can drive. Strathclyde will not place you in a school that requires more that 1h 30min travelling time. In my class we could ask to be placed in a specific local authority, but that was really for the students who had a home further away i.e highlands, fife etc. this is not guaranteed and those living near Glasgow dont really get a say in where they get placed.
    hope this helps :)