1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Housing crisis is forcing teachers to live in sheds and cars

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 17, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

The high cost of housing means that some teachers are struggling to cover rent and mortgage payments while others are forced to apply for financial support to help keep a roof over their heads:

‘Hundreds of teachers are relying on emergency cash handouts as they struggle to make ends meet, according to a charity dedicated to supporting the education workforce.

Figures from the Education Support Partnership, seen by The Independent, show that the number of teachers applying for housing support rose by 67 per cent between 2016 and 2018.

And the number of desperate cases is expected to reach new heights this year.

The Independent reports that some teachers have resorted to living in sheds and cars and eating out of food banks in an effort to stay afloat.’

What are your views about the issue? Are you shocked that teachers and support staff are struggling to cover the high cost of living and find affordable housing?

https://www.tes.com/news/hard-teachers-living-sheds-and-cars

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've just seen an advert at the top of this page for Aston Martin cars, so someone seems to think that some teachers at least are doing ok.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It's not just teachers, is it, though?

towncryer and needabreak like this.
  4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I think those ads are targeted to individuals based on their browsing history.
    (I get speakers for iPhone ad)

needabreak likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Getting a stairlift ad now, pretty sure I haven't been looking at sites for those either.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Ooh Mangle must be minted!

catbefriender likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The regional aspect is only mentioned some way into the article and would have been worth mentioning in the OP.

The Spanish teacher would have faced that issue no matter what job she came here to do with no savings for a deposit, and the single parent would likely also find things difficult on a single income no matter what her job and there are worse.

Seriously... No one ever entered teaching for the money and if new to the job market I'd give the public sector as a whole a wide birth if you have any financial concerns.

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I would think in some areas this may be true however my son lives in an expensive city and when he graduated (not teaching)his starting wage was the same as a new teacher . He has managed to survive though he is very careful with his money and is currently supporting his partner who lost her job.

LondonCanary and needabreak like this.