1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Housing Benefit

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jj80, Jul 20, 2011.

1. This may be a bit off topic but I am thinking other supply teachers may have experienced this as well. Well, I went to apply for a housing allowance with my boyfriend last month. The man did not accept my payslips and said I was to turn them in as I recieve them and our allowance would adjust. I turned in one for about 130.00 and then we get letters stating we now OWE them money as my pay has changed and we lost our council tax benefit. My boyfriend went in to get an explanation and turned in my next playslip which embarrasingly was 40.00 ( I was doing one on one tuition) and then we get letters stating how we owe them even more now!! So basically we get a third of the original amount now every 2 weeks. Do they really not pay attention to anything and let the computer do all the work? Im a dual citizen and originally from America so all this is new to me. Was I being too honest in turning in my payslips?! lol I dont want to turn in anymore now if I wont get any money over the summer holidays!Can anyone relate...or explain?!

2. This may be a bit off topic but I am thinking other supply teachers may have experienced this as well. Well, I went to apply for a housing allowance with my boyfriend last month. The man did not accept my payslips and said I was to turn them in as I recieve them and our allowance would adjust. I turned in one for about 130.00 and then we get letters stating we now OWE them money as my pay has changed and we lost our council tax benefit. My boyfriend went in to get an explanation and turned in my next playslip which embarrasingly was 40.00 ( I was doing one on one tuition) and then we get letters stating how we owe them even more now!! So basically we get a third of the original amount now every 2 weeks. Do they really not pay attention to anything and let the computer do all the work? Im a dual citizen and originally from America so all this is new to me. Was I being too honest in turning in my payslips?! lol I dont want to turn in anymore now if I wont get any money over the summer holidays!Can anyone relate...or explain?!

3. Not much experience but are you signing on for jobseekers over the summer? Explain you are an unemployed teacher and have been temping but work has dried up. Unfortunately I have a mortgage and can't claim a penny even on JSA. You could try your local citizens advice. I would imagine any earned money may come off your benefit which seems daft as some people on low incomes working still get them. Are you able to claim working tax credit if your other half is definitely working over 16 hours regularly.

Sorry can't help, just had JSA back paid after they witheld my cash for the month I worked even though I hadn't been paid yet. Makes supply work almost pointless when getting only a day a week or even half a day. I will get paid £52.50 this month and will loose said amount off my benefit giving me about 15 quid benefit this week!

4. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

The system can't cope with people like us. It goes into melt down.It can't cope with people who are working varied hours with varied wages. For me, one system reckons my OH is working more than 24 hours so getting working tax credits, which he isn't because he only works 10 hours a week or less, for 30 weeks of the year so working tax credit recognises not enough hours. It's because departments work on yearly, monthly, 4 weekly, weekly and even daily income, not forgetting that if you are signing on a week goes from signing on dy to signing on day rather than a standard week.
    Go and see Citizens Advice and see if they can help you. It's free. Good luck.

5. Ill check with Citizens Advice then, as I will have plenty of time off now to do that! lol Thanks! Also, I tried to apply for JSA but my boyfriend works too many hours apparently.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If the £52-50 is your take-home pay for the MONTH, the benefits Agency will disregard £20 of it (equivalent to £5 per week) and will take the remainder £ for £ off your JSA.
    After the £20 disregard, they will use £32-50 of your earnings for the month to reduce 4 weeks of JSA owing after they are informed about the earnings. That means £8-12 per week will be deducted from JSA for 4 weeks.
    If you then inform them of nil monthly pay, (in August or September perhaps?) your JSA will return to your full assessment.