1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Houseplants that don't need full sun?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I seem to have ended up with all my plants in the conservatory and none anywhere else. I have a number of east and west facing windowsills and a few darker hallways - any advice?

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have a dracaena, a parlour palm, a sansevieria and several spider plants that all thrive without a lot of light.

3. Flere-Imsaho

I've just been looking at those on Amazon!

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Peace lily, philodendron and calathea don't like direct sunlight.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They are also called 'mother in law's tongue'. ;) I think they are v attractive and seem to survive neglect.

6. Flere-Imsaho

*googles Xena's suggestions quickly*

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My Swedish Ivy thrived in the gloom of my hall. Until I over-watered it ( when will I ever learn??) and I had to rescue what I could as the main stalk died.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Peace Lilies can be found in any shop. Tesco, B&Q - they all stock them. Might get one myself to replace my gorgeous Swedish Ivy (which I bought online)

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

mother in laws tongue is especially good in bedrooms as it, like bromeliads, absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen at night. ivy is great for darker spots, and I dont think you can beat an orchid in a bathroom.

10. Flere-Imsaho

I can kill an orchid just by looking at it. Going to take a list to the garden centre in a few days and see what I can find!