1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

household expenses tax repayment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mistletoeandwhine, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Are you self-employed?
    If not, its a hoax.
    Probably a scammer after personal information.

2. Only applicable if have a dedicated office in the house that's not a room with multiple uses as I understand it....

3. The Gov assumes teachers do work from home so the tax rebate is for heating and light. £2 or £3 a week x around 30 weeks a year. I am now loooking into getting the forms and applying myself, rather than going throught the company you speak of who charge £25 + vat for the service.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Was the 'source' by any chance one of those companies who say they'll recover any tax due as long as you give them a cut?

All they're doing is following simple steps that you can do yourself, then charging you for it.

I've only ever been able to claim household expenses when I was taxed on income I made outside teaching. I've never heard of being able to claim for 'work from home', but maybe the rules have changed?