1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

House Share Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

My eldest is moving into a house this week (second year at Uni) with three others. The others left it all to my child to find the house, in return for having the pick of the bedrooms. After viewing many properties, and much negotiation, Hillock Senior found a lovely property, which was going to be renovated ready for September. Yesterday the other housemates sent a message via Whatsapp to the effect that as my child has the biggest room, they should be paying £5 a week more towards the rent. They said it's fair if the person with the second largest room pays £2.50 more, and the people with the smallest two rooms pay £2.50 and £5.00 each less a week respectively. I have no issue with what they are saying in principle, but it does seem a but unfair to do this three days before they move in, seeing as they all signed contracts in May to share the rent equally. Plus I don't think it bodes well for a harmonious year! Has anyone got any experience of this situation please? Thanks in advance, OTH x

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's the sort of thing that needs discussing before finding a place, not when you've had a place sourced for you and realise you can twist things to suit your pocket.
    If they had made that agreement beforehand, your son could have purposefully chosen the smaller room for the saving to his pocket.
    I don't trust his housemates. They are slippery and self-motivated.
    And they've ignored the contract.

Any house share I've experienced cuts equal shares in rent unless a room is substantially smaller ie just a box room with barely space to walk around the bed. Or substantially bigger ie twice as big as all the others or with own bathroom, for example.
    But what do I know. Just that they don't sound particularly ready for communal living. That sort of mindset is better suited to a landlord who rents out rooms with locks on each door.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Perhaps you son should send them a bill for his time for sourcing the accomodation.

4. Spiritwalkerness

Or perhaps, he could 're-choose' what room he wants.

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

PCjr's first house share ended up being toxic as they split into two groups who fell out massively. She was stuck between the two groups and it was very unpleasant.

Her close friend, who she still shares with in a different house now, sprinted to out-pace another group of students and was allowed pick of the rooms in return. No suggestion in any of her house shares of different room sizes being charged differently, although I can see a single room being cheaper than a double.

I agree it's not the most promising start but hopefully things will settle down.

1 person likes this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Perhaps they could draw lots for the rooms and all pay the same once its been done in this random way. And your son should look to widen his social circle, which he probably will do after this.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's neat.
    Perhaps also re drawing mid year so nobody is lumbered with a room they wouldn't necessarily choose.
    However, we know the current group would not be amenable to this. Because they came up with a suggestion motivated only by saving themselves something, not motivated to keep things equal.
    If your suggestion were offered, at least one of them would protest about it being unfair, because they would lose the sense of opportunism that led to their proposed rent structure.

8. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I suggest he just says no, and refers them to the tenancy agreement they’ve all signed.

9. Over_the_hill

I think what has miffed Hillock Senior is the two with the largest rooms are the two on full student finance due to low family income. The two quibbling over paying less are from very wealthy families with not so much as a student loan, and a generous allowance!
    I think you are completely right @skrobson.

Lara mfl 05, Laphroig and lindenlea like this.
  10. Spiritwalkerness

I should imagine that it is a parent who has made the suggestion.

11. Over_the_hill

You could be right. All of the rooms are doubles with double beds so although I haven't seen the house myself I can't imagine the room sizes vary that much!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Son 2 got the biggest room in his house share because he's 6'5" , which was a joint idea,but I don't think "he" paid any more.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Never heard of that before. Say no. It should have been agreed beforehand.

14. Spiritwalkerness

And, the next stage will be - 'bigger rooms cost more to heat and don't you think you should pay more towards the bills?'

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well it's kind of spoilt things whatever gets said now.
    The fact of somebody having suggested this means they are happy to put their own pocket before a contract, and if UnderTheHill says "no, we signed a contract" then he will always be seen as the obstructive one by at least one of them from a family which didnt get rich by giving their pennies away. Pardon the generalisation, but it's a confident one on my part.
    I'd want to start over with other people, much as it seems awful, although it's probably too late.

fwiw the best of the best house shares are always with those you know the least. The disassociation often means more objectivity and fairness in most things. This was always my experience.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I expect it will blow over. I lived with someone who set fire to our flat causing huge damage and upset but it passed. There were other things to think about.

17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

We had exactly ...exactly the same when my younger was at Newcastle. My girl did all the searching, dealing with agents, utilities etc and in the first house in year 2 is they drew lots and of course she ended up with what I viewed to be the worst room...ie next to the kitchen and it had 3 exterior walls so was cold and her IKEA linen hanging wardrobes got mildewed! The rest of them drove her dotty with their late night shrieking in the kitchen and early risers being noisy. They gave her no consideration when she was working.... Combined Honours with Eng Lit, History and `Politics meant she had shedloads of reading to do but that wasn’t viewed as work unlike the total noise blackout if the medic had to work! For the 3rdyear I again voiced my concerns as she did legwork again for the slightly reduced group who were going to share and hey ho she did get the choice of room (I insisted she do that) but was expected to pay more! There was also the issue that the local NE girl stayed in the holidays with the bills always split between them.....I wasn’t too ecstatic about that either. I lost count of the long weepy phone calls she made as little Miss Sensitive who wouldn’t ‘upset’ anyone was driven to tears by the actions of housemates.
    Then followed London and a house share (guess who traipsed round agents yet again? ) This time the other 2 switched the heating on at any opportunity (putting on a jumper/extra layer was against their religion!) They also walked in the high heels on the brand new laminate flooring.
    She hasn't...thank goodness shared again....oh the last 2 minxes went off to another flat without giving my girl any warning and left her in a right mess....as she had done all the signing up for the house. I do not blame my girl at all for now wishing to share ever again.
    Your lad needs to stick to the original agreement - beggar all this different rates for different rooms. If they rent together next year then ppl could try to renegotiate a different agreement. TIL then he should stick to his guns.

18. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree. It was equal rents in my offspring’s rented houses.

Said offspring often found themselves on their own at the weekends as housemates lived near enough to go home regularly. At one point they suggested he paid more of the heating bill as they didn’t use so much fuel. He said absolutely not as it wasn’t his fault they didn’t stay in the house at weekends. It wasn’t the most successful house share.

19. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

A month's rent - on the whole property - is what an agent would charge. Their share of that should cover his extra 5GBP per month for a year.

20. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I agree with @HelenREMfan. and @7eleven It might be different if they weren't all double rooms but they all agreed to share the rent equally so it wouldn't be fair for the two who happen to be in slightly bigger rooms to have to pay more.

Edit. Just checked your first post and it was agreed that your child sourced the accommodation 'in return for' first choice of room. So your child has effectively already paid in kind for having the best room!