1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

House or pet sitting

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jul 28, 2012.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Has any of you good folk done this.if so whats it like and is it a worth doing?
    By this when you go to live in anothers place.

2. I have done house and childsitting if that counts?
    It was for friends though, and only always for short stints, so that they got a break.
    The favour was never repaid!

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'd say go for it - if you like pets that is.
    Great opportunities for a change of scene! And you've not got to be stuck indoors with the pets all day, after all.

4. Hi Olds,
    When walking the JRTs I met a woman (late 60s) who was walking two dog which she pet sat in her own home. She does this as her business and also goes around to people's houses and walks dogs/ feeds cats when their owners are at work.

I think it's the perfect type of business to do when retired - providing you like animals!
    For me, I'm a bit reluctant to stick my dogs in kennels any more as they are getting on a bit and I would like them to have some comfort and I think quite a few people think like me.

If it's something you are seriously considering then I say do yor research and go for it. All that dog walking is great for giving you time to clear your head and get some fresh air.[​IMG]

5. oldsomeman

I did consider maybe being a holiday home to a pet ot two
    more though to go to places more cheaply in return for minding house or looking after pets.

6. You could do both!

7. there are agencies - you can go on their books and say, for example, which animals you can and can't cope with
    you have to agree to stay in the house for a certain number of hours a day, and you get a listof chores, such as walking the dog - but i doubt you'd be expected to do any cleaning, other than cleaning up after yourself
    just put 'house sitting agency' into google - there's way too many to link - would give you much more idea of what's involved, too

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

When are you free?

9. My colleague looks after her friends dogs when they go away, living in their house for the period that they are on holiday. She loves it although obviously that's an informal arrangement rather than through an agency so I don't know anything about agency work in that area.

10. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

There was a programme on about this last week, or a report in another programme. One chap has now got a fairly lucrative business matching up house-sitters and clients. They did say to be cautious as in some instances the sitter was extremely restricted by the requirements if the house owner. But I think it sounds quite good. Can't remember the name if the company... But as some one suggested. Google!

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

One company charges £35 a day for house and dog sitting. ( Minders Keepers)
    Not sure how much the sitter gets though!

12. to be fair, you will find agencies suggest the main financial advantage is no food or fuel costs for the duration, rather than scads of pay
    and that it's often folk with grand houses with swimming pools/tennis courts you can use

13. oldsomeman

I immagined more i would ge tthe house to stay in and inretun do such chores as are required...it wasnt to earn money.more to take wife and myself tt 'different places' a bit cheaper.
    I personally dont mind animals......but not keen on scale and slippery ones lol

14. i reckon you'd be the ideal house-sitter for anyone without cold-blooded pets

15. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

It's really common in France. Here, the sitters don't get paid as they're living for free in someone's home. The owners pay around 300€ per week to an agency for the link-up with the sitters, their vetting etc.
    The sitters frequently have to do things like feed any pets, keep the garden tidy and clean the pool. They have free run of the house, treat it as thier home but they do have to be there every evening as added security from potential burglars. Some couples spend nine months a year house sitting.