1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'House of Commons' posts on TES

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cissy3, Mar 2, 2016.

1. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Did you know?

If you ever go over to Ed News, you will be aware that someone posts as 'House of Commons', asking for teachers' views on a variety of topics. And it seems to be legit!

The most recent one is to do with ITT, and the provision of enough trainees.

https://community.tes.com/threads/have-your-say-training-new-teachers-inquiry.733899/

There are some excellent responses already, but wondered if others on here were interested.
    I know it's a vain hope that anything will actually be done, but you never know.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Hmmmm

delnon and harsh-but-fair like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I was wondering what type of 'information gathering exercise' it might prove to be.

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes, that was my reaction the first time HoC posted, a while ago, but iirc TesRosaline gave it the OK.

It's after opinions Lara, not info! @Lara mfl 05

I was hoping people would go over there and give it to them with both-barrels!
    :mad:

:p:D

sabrinakat and delnon like this.
  5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

There are plenty of posters with political agendas who just act as wind up merchants and disinformers.

Alf58 and delnon like this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

even better, you can go onto the Parliamentary debate page on facebook! [I was invited in relation to 35k mimimum salary for non-EU citizens]......see under Overseas trained teachers (a thread that Theo started) @TheoGriff

cissy3 likes this.
  7. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

And it was fun, too! :) Boom-Boom! Won't make the blindest bit of difference, but it was good to let the blighters have it! :) Boom-Boom!

sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  8. Didactylos4

Our submissions are usually drowned out by the chorus from OFSTED

9. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you @cissy3 for your thread.

As Cissy3 said this is a legitimate opportunity for all of you to have your say.

Has a representative from a Government committee posted on this forum before last year?

Please don't waste this chance to get involved in the discussion and give your views to the Public Accounts Committee or on other threads started by @HouseOfCommons.

You can answer the questions and take this opportunity to say how you really feel about what is happening in the industry with the knowledge that this information will be fed back to the relevant committees.

delnon likes this.
  10. Didactylos4

Whilst I largely agree with the rest of the post @TES_Rosaline I have yet to see evidence that the following has occurred (or will occur)
    Even direct submissions aren't always fed back to the relevant committees.

11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I know, I did say:

But I've seen some really good rants about the nonsense going on in schools
    (I'm out of touch with FE these days, but that was a lost cause in '97 with ridiculous contracts etc imo )

It just seems a shame that these rants aren't all focussed in one place.

Divide and conquer always seems to work well keeping teachers in check. It's a blinkin'shame.

rachelpaula008, delnon and RedQuilt like this.
  12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Well, I've finally added my rant!

Anyone else?

nomad and delnon like this.
  13. HouseOfCommons

HouseOfCommons New commenter

Hi @Didactylos4,

Thanks for your comment.

The Public Accounts Committee are reviewing comments that shared in the training new teachers inquiry threads directly. Your comments are being viewed as they are without interpretation.

The House of Commons is working to increase the ways in which people can get involved with the work of the House and Committees. One of these ways is to engage with people in spaces where they interact and discuss topics that interest them. By sharing your thoughts and experience you are helping Parliament hold the Government to account.

We are happy to answer any questions that you may have!

14. Didactylos4

Your post is noted with interest

HouseOfCommons likes this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Interesting that we are holding them to account rather than merely giving information.
    Who's on this committee, I wonder?

cissy3 likes this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It might help you then if a discussion about this took place. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35718553
    I have read countless threads on here about the reasons teachers have decided to leave the profession, but they have never included leaving to raise a family.

"Mr Simons says official figures suggest more than a quarter of the teachers of working age who left the profession between 2008 and 2012 were women aged 30 to 39 - some 6,000 a year.

"The most obvious conclusion to be drawn here is that this is maternity related," writes Mr Simons."

Goodness knows where the members of think tanks come from, but I doubt that any on this one are or have been teachers in recent years.

applecrumblebumble and delnon like this.
  17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It reminds me of a college I worked at where things were going badly wrong. The senior managers, with increasing desperation, came up with hypothesis and solutions that got further away from reality. We could all see what the issues were, told them what they were but they were unacknowledged all the same.
    I get the feeling that those in charge of education are just as unwilling to acknowledge the causes.

delnon and cissy3 like this.
  18. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

These are just numbers and the conclusion is only obvious to a non scientifically trained person. Unless you track each person leaving and returning then this conclusion becomes merely personal. I know plenty of teachers in this age group who have just left.

rachelpaula008, delnon and cissy3 like this.
  19. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The late lamented Ted Wragg had an amusing way of pointing out that these 'Think' tanks were usually set up by politicians to 'independently' advise them to do what they already intended. These "Think" tanks gave themselves spurious authority by quoting one another's 'research'.

After some particularly inane pronouncement I once wrote to the Centre for Policy Studies asking if any of their members had any recent experience of working in state education. The answer was 'some of our members have had experience in state education', Or in other words, no.

I doubt it's any different now. As for the members of the committee, are they not MPs?
    Still can't buy any whitewash anywhere... :rolleyes:

cissy3 likes this.