1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

House of Commons Behaviour

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RedQuilt, Dec 2, 2015.

1. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm watching the debate on the TV and feeling very frustrated and a bit shocked by the behaviour of our MPs. I understand that they all want their points heard and it's important that that happens but the disrespect shown to the people speaking is awful.
    I was just thinking that the House gives a very poor impression of the professionalism of our parliamentary system.

Was it always as bad as this?

kibosh, lizziescat and lanokia like this.
  2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I visited the House of Commons back in about 1976 and it was just as bad then. I actually went in and saw them debating, are you still allowed to do this?

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's like being with 7B, you have to shout above the rabble and the farmyard noises.

kibosh likes this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, they tweeted earlier that you could go to public galleries but that queues would be longer than usual today

RedQuilt likes this.
  5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

It has never been any different ("There there dear" etc etc)
    It is the back room, port soaked habits of the ruling classes now televised for us.
    More disgraceful I feel are the all too often scenes of a nigh empty House for "debates" when they are all no doubt on their nice little earners outside of Parliament (Dennis Skinner excluded)

kibosh, RedQuilt and InkyP like this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It really is!
    Given that John Bercow is supposed to keep them in order, I wonder what Ofsted would make of his 'lesson' with 7B ;).

I don't know if you can still go and watch @InkyP , I'd be surprised what with the security threat.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

RedQuilt likes this.
  8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Thanks Frank. I might go one day then.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Perhaps it's a small mercy that our parliament doesn't resort to fisticuffs and gunshots as happens in other parliaments when debates get heated.

kibosh likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It has always been a bear-pit. I can't bear to listen to them.

11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

There was a tense atmosphere at the start of the debate when Cameron refused, repeatedly, to apologise for his comments yesterday but, no, no fisticuffs.

Who'd have won if there'd have been a scrap between Cameron and Corbin I wonder.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The only way to stop it, and a lot more besides, is to abandon the use of political parties. Individual MPs could instead, declare for a raft of membership or support of special interest groups and concepts - e.g. Greenpeace, CBI, humanism whatever, to the electorate.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Adversarial politics requires rules so that debate can take place. The Westminster house of clowns has a set of rules, they are rarely enforced as this debate and many others will testify.