1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

House insulation

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, May 6, 2012.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

How well is your house insulated? We had a quote for external insulation at £145 er square metre - must be using gold leaf? What is the best thing you have done to lessen your "footprint".

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

How well is your house insulated? We had a quote for external insulation at £145 er square metre - must be using gold leaf? What is the best thing you have done to lessen your "footprint".

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Amputated my big toe.

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Ahh - did it keep going to market?

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

We had cavity wall insulation years ago and the house has been sooooooooo cosy since. As a bonus it stopped the mice getting in.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No, Nelly. But I never sing 'Heads and shoulders, knees and toes' any more, as it's too poignant.[​IMG]

7. Thought you were feeling lethargic, nutella? That was a bit swift!

Nelly, have you checked if you are eligible for a grant? link
    If you claim any benefit or tax credit it is worth checking!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Very hard to do cavity instalation in this house with solid brick walls! Mind you two recent doors i had put on did stop some of the drafts...now to seal the cellar door and the fench windows!
    Nelly the stuff they are quotng for is that external cladding with special coating over the top..its effective,but it is expensive,However, i would get other quotes as well!

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have read a few articles online that suggest that cavity wall insulation can be the cause of damp and wall tie failure. So that put me off thinking about that option. However, since I don't intend to live forever maybe I won't care about things like that!
    The expensive quote made us re think the value of the conservatory which covers one side of the house. It probably does a good job in terms of insulating the rest of the house.In the end, another conservatory at the other end might be cheaper than external insulation!

10. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

We haven't had any damp problems. May be to do with the age of the house. Ours was built in the 80s

11. I would be cautious of applying any external coatings to walls. This can affect moisture levels and can lead to damp problems ( moisture becomes trapped in the walls). If you do go for these products, they must never cover any damp course.

12. Our electricity supplier and our council offer free roof insulation and free cavity wall insulation for all customers/residents.
    Had our roof done but can't have the cavity done.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

New condenser boiler replacing previous 16 year old item, plus thermostatic radiator valves = gas bill down from £70 a month to £40 a month.

Lagging my early 1970s vintage attic to 200mm, boarding it (myself), and keeping upstairs room doors shut in winter = gas bill down from £40 a month to £22 a month plus a £60 refund.

We already have double glazing and cavity insulation - we have an electric cooker and live in a small 3-bed semi.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Don't forget the house heating benefits that come from a conservatory in Spring and Autumn if you leave the internal door open. However, they can get colder than a normal room in winter, so need extra energy to keep them above freezing.

15. oldsomeman

I wish my gas bills where so small...with 2 gas fires and an cooker top only mine came to over £400 for 3 months.
    I cant have cavity wall insulation,the loft is fullyinsulateed......and i have only just replaced the drafty doors.Mines a mid terrace house........and i live with a wife who thinks a gas fire is to hot even with snow on the ground lol

16. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

I've also read online advice about cavity wall insulation, and the problems it can cause, so have avoided doing it. I don't think it's related to the age of the property, rather the standard of construction. It would be interesting to know the statistics on it; the percentage of properties that have damp problems as a result compared with those that don't.
    As far as house insulation goes, I've replaced the boiler and installed double glazing. It's the second house I've done this to, and I'm about to buy another property where the boiler needs replacing. I feel like I'm on a mission to upgrade boilers across the country! :)

17. oldsomeman

An average boiler im told is only intended to last 5-10 years.........so well done on your mission jazz! lol

18. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

try the energy saving trust website.
    plenty of relevant detail.
    the conservatory idea is a winner too

19. Like someone else mentioned - we can't have cavity walls done because it's a solid brick house. Loft got done to the current standards recently for free (hubby works for an energy supplier and they were doing a £100 deal but refunding it through payroll for employees so we took them up on the freebie - could have had cavity wall done as well if the house was able to take it).

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I installed my own in 1996 and it is still going great having had a couple of minor component changes, and I would be disappointed if it doesn't do 20 years. One of the great money making swizzes for lots of companies is to persuade people to change perfectly good boilers for new ones. Most are in fact standard builds and parts are relatively cheap, and easy to find (not many heating engineers will tell you that though, but thank goodnes for Google!). For houses that don't have them, thermostatic radiator valves on their own are likely to return significant savings, as will adjusting heating times down a bit. I hate the idea of plugging up every gap and sealing myself in though - houses need good air circulation and it's healthier. We have got double glazing and basic insulation in the loft so there isn't much left that will return much on any further investment. Anyway with two young boys coming and going all day, we often find we are heating the west country more than the house.