1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hours

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grasshopper2000, Dec 30, 2018.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

I'm just starting my first job and just wondering, what hours do you work, including any work at home and do you work weekends?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I'm an HLTA. I'm in school by 7.30 most mornings and leave between 4.30 and 5. This means I very rarely work at home, I can do most of my marking and planning at school. We're primary. We do have teachers who work every evening at home and a whole day at the weekend - but we have more now who choose to come in when school opens at 7.15 and be chivvied out by the premises manager at 5.45. It's a very long day, but many prefer to get it all done at school and only occasionally work at home. Good luck with your first job!

Supplylady and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

7.45-5/5.30 plus about two hours on average at weekends but that's after quite a few years being in the same year group and school. New school and relatively new to teaching I'd do similar hours at school plus an hour or two in the evening and possibly twice as long at weekends. The better you understand the pedagogy and subjects the easier it becomes. Have a look at the lazy teacher handbook for done good tips.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

With GDPR now some schools are insisting teachers don't take books home, so often there is no choice other than to extend the school day to get the marking finished.
    Then of course in one's first post in any new school, NQT or more mature teacher, there's also the lesson peparation to do once they get home.
    You can pretty much assume the workload will be similar to your training + some extra because youll have pretty much a full timetable and all the 'extra' behaviour' issues to write up / contact parents etc.

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

Hi. I get to school at about 7.30 and leave at about 5.15 (teach Year 6). I will work a couple of evenings but try to not work weekends. During the holidays I will spend a day preparing for the half term ahead. When new to a year group I worked longer hours, also when we were due ofsted! Good luck with your new job.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I get in between 7.15 and 7.30 and leave between 5.00 and 6.00, but do almost nothing at all at home and take about 15 mins of most breaks in the staff room.
    Some staff arrive at 8.00 and leave at 4.30, but work at home.
    Some arrive at 8.00 and leave at 4.30, but work through breaks.
    Some arrive about 7.15 and chat in the staff room until 8.15, spend all their breaks in the staff room, leave about 5.00 and work at home.

You need to do whatever suits you and not feel it is a competition to arrive first or leave last. It matters not a jot whether you have breaks or not, what tome you leave or arrive. All that matters is you are happy doing what you do.

Most teachers seem to do about 50 hours a week in term time.

imanapplegirl and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

At leadership level there is a choice -

More and more schools are using oral feedback as the preferred method and hardly marking books at all...

Apparently people are starting to realise that actually speaking to pupils is a good idea, rather then writing them cryptic messages that they either don’t read or can’t understand...

8. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

I work as a HLTA and arrive at 7.15, then start work at 7.30 and generally work until 5 to avoid taking planning and marking home during the evenings or weekends. Officially my hours are 8.30 - 4 30 but sticking to them is impossible. I'd rather work the longer hours during the week than work weekends because that Sunday afternoon feeling is awful when you know you have school work to do. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.