1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

hours worked?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by haggisfish, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I suspect it will be the hours stated on your contract, so just the 13 if you worked two days a week. I'm not entirely sure, though. Would it not be nearer 15 hours if you did two days - 0.2 of a full time contract? And have they given you PPA time or not yet? This would count.

2. It's a slightly confusing area when it comes to teacher's hours. You don't count the actual hours you teach, you count 'directed time'. I recently found out (also for a tax credits form) that a full-time teacher works 32.4 hours of directed time per week. This is calculated by dividing the total annual number of hours directed time (think it's 1265 or something like that) by 52. So, to answer your query, a teacher working 0.5 (ie 2.5 days a week) would be 'officially' working 16.2 hours. I guess to cover the 'magic figure' you'd have to go for the 3 days. I can't work out what it'd be for 2 days but obviously it's less than 16. Hope this helps.

3. Just checked, and yes it's 1265 per annum.

4. I work 0.4 (two days) and had to say 13 hours on my tax credits form despite the fact LO has to be in childcare for much longer.

5. jenni123

jenni123 New commenter

I work 0.4 and have stated that I work 16 hours per week. I felt a bit worried about soing this at first and decided to see how many hours I actually worked per week before I sent the forms off. Most days I go into work at 7.30 and leave at 5, this includes department meeting which we have each week. I worked out that I work on average, in school, around 18/19 hours per week. I really do not think it goes on your contracted hours, as a lot of people I know also include their regular overtime and stuff also to ensure they are working over 16 hours. I have done this for the past 2 years and never had a problem with Tax credits.
    Definitely weigh up your options because I worked out that if I worked a 0.6 contract I would be worst off financially overall!!

6. 1265 are not your contracted hours they are your directed hours. You are contracted to work whatever hours are necessary to do the job.
    Tell them the number of hours you realistically think you will be working. My husband did this when he dropped to 2 days.
    I don't know what your partner earns but, be warned, they've recently reduced the threshold at which you are not entitled to tax credits. We've just received a letter saying that our Child Tax Credit is stopping because our household income is over £42,000. £42 wasn't much, but when our Child Benefit of nearly £190 stops next year we will really struggle.

7. "1265 are not your contracted hours they are your directed hours. You
    are contracted to work whatever hours are necessary to do the job.
    Tell them the number of hours you realistically think you will be working."
    Thank you, this was an incredibly reassuring post - I have just accepted a 0.4 contract at my local secondary (absolute heaven as I wanted to stay in teaching, not travel far, but also have time with my kids who are both under 3) and I had been under the impression that it counted as more than 16 hours, as my last school said to tell HMRC that full-time teaching is on average 40 hours including meetings and the like. My actual teaching hours now are less than 16, but I know I'll have to do at least another half hour to an hour a day to deal with homework... but I didn't want to get myself into a hairy tax credits situation if they thought I was lying!

8. Sharwyn, you really panicked me! I had to go and check - Directgov says
    From 2013, any Child Benefit claimed by one or more parents or carers
    who earn £44,000 or more per year would be recouped through their
    income tax.

This amount only applies to one person.
    So two parents each with an income below £44,000 will keep their Child
    Benefit even if their joint income totals more than £44,000. The £44,000
    is the current rate at 2010.
    So even if both parents earn £40,000 each they will still get CB next year.
    Hope this helps ease the loss of Tax Credit.

9. What does this mean? Sorry for being dim!!
    This makes me mad- why on earth is it the case? We will lose ours but a couple who earn £86,000 between them will still get it. Grrrrr.

10. It's because its the cheapest way for the government to do it. They dont seem worried about whether or not it is fair. We will probably be able to keep ours - its crazy.