1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

hours per week worked during lock down, compared to normal

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Corvuscorax, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Just out of interest, how many hours a week have you been working during lock down, since schools closed, compared to your normal hours per week with schools fully open?

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

At the end of a week in which I have been teaching a bubble of key worker children on top of setting and marking work for my own class online and writing reports, I am too tired to work it out. Sorry.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Lots more ( I am not a 'normal' school teacher; I work full time in the community now, though I spent most of my career as a school-teacher). I admit that it's probably because I'm having to learn and use new tech all the time.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

My timetable was mostly year 11 and year 13 this year so even if things had been normal by now I would be doing 18 lessons over a 2 week cycle. It takes me longer to plan lessons for on line teaching but I get very little work submitted for marking. I have rewriitten some schemes of work this feels odd as I won't ever use them I am leaving

agathamorse likes this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Much more. Boredom ? Necessity -planning a transition from year 6 into my year 7 has been interesting, longer time planning lessons, swollen thumbs from typing, e-mail watching. Looking fwd to a decent day's work in school with students.

Sally006, strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

me too!

agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

I'm interested, as there is so much chat on social media about teachers not doing any work.

We were originally doing less hours than a normal school week, say 60 instead of 80-90, but its crept up again.

To start with it was quite nice to be pared down to the actual educational aspects of the job, but now managers are piling on the useless crop again.

tenpast7 and agathamorse like this.
  8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Much the same here, but I've had to refuse or shortcut a lot of SLT's expectations to achieve that.

9. Corvuscorax

good for you!

Do you think it is easier to do that in current circumstances? Do you think this lock down teaching experience is going to sharpen up a few more individuals to be prepared to do the same face to face?

agathamorse likes this.
  10. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

I would imagine that this Pandemic has helped lift Staff energy levels and allowed them to concentrate on Teaching and not the rest of the Horsesh*t dreamed up by SLT and other "general interferers".
    I also think the general public may be more understanding now, of what a vital role Teacher's play in pupil development. Hopefully the "Chalk Face" Teachers will get a Financial Boost, as well as a Boost in Status.
    Another factor in all this is, 50 hours of meaningful work, is psychologically easier than 40 hours of Pointless Tasks dreamed up by Office Dwellers for their Career Aspirations.

Sally006 and Corvuscorax like this.
  11. Corvuscorax

are you German?

12. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Perhaps for some. I seem to have a knack for doing the important things well and getting away with shrugging off the rest - thus far employers have preferred to have me working in that mode than not have me at all. Perhaps I've been lucky :)