1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly rate rip off?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Stuckatups1, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Stuckatups1

Stuckatups1 New commenter

Dear Colleagues,
    I'm doing daily supply direct through my local LEA/school; no agencies are involved.
    The LEA have capped the daily rate of pay at M6, so as I've been on UPS for several years, I'm losing out already.
    Over half the lessons I've been teaching are last minute and no work has been set, so I'm having to think on my feet and do lots of 11th hour "planning" and adjusting as I go along.
    I'm also marking what I've done with each class, wherever possible.
    I'm mainly at a secondary school, which is a split site, so I'm spending up to 30 mins per day driving between the lower and upper schools and/or back again.
    The time sheets provided by the LEA just have a tick box for morning or afternoon. There's nowhere to state how many actual hours I'm doing.
    I get in at 8.30am - assuming I'm teaching from 9am, so I can at least try to sort out what I'm meant to be teaching that day. It's usually getting close to 5pm by the time I finish marking, yet the official end of the day is half three. There's a 45 minute lunch break, during which time, I'm often commuting to the other site.
    The LEA will only pay 3 hours for a morning; 2 per afternoon and 5 hours for a full day, which I believe is a rip off.
    I've also just discovered I'll be getting paid monthly, but a month in arrears, so last week's pay won't arrive until Xmas!
    I'd be interested in hearing how this compares with other schools, before deciding whether it's worth asking my (very supportive) union for advice. I don't want to stop marking or turn into a clock watcher, but I feel I'm being exploited her. What say you?
    Over to you, folks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Certainly being paid in arrears is perfectly normal for an LA. I know when I worked for one if one hadn't filled in the form before the 5th of the month one didn't get paid till the end of the next month. So work was often from 7 week's in arrears.
    If paid at 'daily rate' I used to be able to claim 20 mins per day (10mins each for morning or afternoon) for preparation and marking, though that was nowhere near the time one actually used but over a week gave one 100mins extra so an hour and a half 'extra pay'.

3. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

I have worked on an hourly rate in alternative provision. I think it worked out at about £30 an hour but included an additional 10% PPA. If your 10% PPA is incuded in the 'teaching day' this may not be added. I think you should be claiming travel expenses for driving between schools.
    I would phone the LEA and ask your hourly rate. It should be calculated on M6 pro rata

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

The day rate for M6 should be £164. The assumed working day should be 6.5 hours. So 8.30 - 4.15 factoring in lunch.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My understanding was that break-times were 'factored in', being so short, but that lunchtimes were not, as teachers are not generally required to be there, or even on the premises over lunch?

Edit- just done my calculations and although you mention 'factoring in' lunch you did exclude it.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

If you are driving between sites during the day that is the equivalent of care workers driving from client to client. You should be paid for that.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

My understanding is that hourly rate is calculated as a percentage of timetabled lesson time - within this you should have 10 % PPA or, if not, the school should pay 10% on top. This timetabled time would not involve assemblies and break time and lunch.