1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Rate for KS5 Physics?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by missbrody, Jan 20, 2012.

1. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

I have been asked by a colleague to tutor her son through AS physics. She has asked me what I will charge, but I don't have a clue as to what the rate should be.
    Would appreciate any existing KS5 tutors giving me an idea of the range of rates being charged these days. Thanks.

2. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

I have been asked by a colleague to tutor her son through AS physics. She has asked me what I will charge, but I don't have a clue as to what the rate should be.
    Would appreciate any existing KS5 tutors giving me an idea of the range of rates being charged these days. Thanks.

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

For A Level, no less than £30 an hour. In some cases I might charge £40 if I have to travel to their home, or they are doing Further Maths etc. This is for Surrey.

4. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

I charge £25 an hour for A-level Biology, but as I am the only one round here who will take on KS5, I could probably get away with charging more. However, in the current climate I'm reluctant to increase my fee. There is a definite shortage of good Physics tutors around, so you probably could get away with £30+.

I am in Yorkshire by the way.

5. erm

erm

What part of the country? At your house or theirs? I'm also Yorkshire (in a relatively affluent area). I charge £32/hour for KS5 maths at my house. I don't travel to clients any more because I don't have to. Makes more sense to spend three hours at home with three tutees back to back than getting in the car and only being able to fit in two in that time. I would consider it if I needed more business.

6. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

Maybe I should stop being so soft business-wise and up my fees next academic year! I get good results and get most of my students through word of mouth. And I guess that's what worries me about putting up my fees; if I'm recommended by someone who says I charge £25 and all of a sudden my fee is £30, I'm worried I will lose work! Am I being daft? Or am I undervaluing myself? I don't have a teaching qualification, but have a Ph.D and teaching experience at University level.

7. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

£30 an hour, and I'm rural.I'm wanting to increase my rate, but £30 is such a nice round amount. Maybe when the economy improves it can go to £40 an hour...I can't be doing with £33 and the like.
    I get some parents enquire and feel it's too much. They then go away and get a cheaper tutor, but an undergraduate with no teaching or examining experience is a false economy, and they get back in touch wanting the real deal!
    DB

8. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Thanks for all the replies - useful to know the range of rates being charged. I am in Buckinghamshire, so it is a relatively affluent area, but I will not be charging the full rate as she is a colleague and her son works in the evenings at the boarding school I teach at. I will let her know what the going rate is and then suggest a suitable reduced rate. She knows she will be getting good value as she knows the full details of my students physics results over the past 4 years!

9. I'm Berkshire, so close to you in a similarly affluent area I would imagine, and I charge £30 per hour for KS5 biology and GCSE science. I have tutored for friends before and said half price, although one insisted on £20 not £15 bless her! I'm now at the point where I am so busy with school work that if anyone else enquires I'll say £35 and see if that puts them off. I think if people are prepared to pay £50 per hour for a plumber we are probably all undervaluing ourselves ;-)

10. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

ERM, you are exactly right, and put it so much better than I.
    Working up the hourly rate scale, you could imagine legal types charging eye-watering hourly rates, with the only consolation to the person paying that you hopefully only need to line their pockets at that rate just one or two times in your lifetime.
    Plumbers and the like are often a 'distress purchase' too, and then obviously can charge whatever the market can bear, knowing that if you'd rather your bathroom be filled with sewage, while you're also in the dark, then that's cool.
    We need to be mindful of the PIT (the pool of inactive teachers) where an oversupply in some areas can reduce rates.
    DB

11. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

Pool of inactive teachers? Oversupply? Not in Bucks/Herts. Four years ago I tried to find my daughter a physics tutor for A2. I ended up driving 15 miles each way and sitting outside the house in my car for an hour on a Sunday afternoon while she was tutored. And, I was paying £30 an hour then. MissBrody, if you tutor A level physics in Bucks then I think that you could easily command £50/hr. Some people might say that you are too expensive, but I would pay it as good physics tutors are incredibly hard to find.