1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly paid lecturer - core subject with functional skills

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by waterlillies, Oct 16, 2017.

1. waterlillies

waterlillies New commenter

Hi,

A bit of an advice please. A FE college wants me to come for an interview this week and start next week (if I'm successful).

The college is a bit far from where I live (50' drive) and they pay £20/hour. This is part time job so only 3 hours per day.

The problem is I'm hoping to get shortlisted for two interviews next week (full time post in secondary schools). They will shortlist on 19th so a few more days.

Should I still go for the interview in this FE college? It does look like they recruit all the times - a sign of not a good place for me! The pay already includes holiday, etc. - is that normal pay or low pay taking into account no pension, holidays, sickness etc.?

2. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

Hi

I did unqualified (had PTLLS) teaching when I started in FE and the pay was around £23/hour as they factored in holidays and planning time with it.

I find that the rate of turnover doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad place. Sometimes it's actually poor recruitment. I, as a qualified teacher, took over from less experienced staff who basically left the group in a shambles and were let go.

Different people enjoy working in different environments. I personally have found the environments in schools I've worked in stifling for myself and for the students but have stayed in the same FE college for four years.

My immediate thoughts would be that the distance would become too annoying too quickly. Longer commutes wear you down after a while.

waterlillies likes this.
  3. waterlillies

Thank you so much for the insight.

I thought the pay is quite low as I do private tutoring and charge £20 at home or £25-£30 if I have to travel. But I need a job too as I only have 5 tutees at the moment.

I might just go for the interview as it will be a good experience for me! From what I can see the FS students will be extremely low ability. I don't mind that, I just hate managing behaviour because I left my previous school (i was a nqt) as kids were tough and staff was unsupportive there.

Do you have a prospect of being full time permanent in a college if you do well or mainly it is hourly paid?

4. gogogulliver

I was on a full time permanent contract but am now on 0.8 because I'm a lush. I started off hourly, but applied for a full time permanent position and did that for two years.

FS students often had quite a negative experience at school and come out disheartened. A lot of it is picking up their confidence, but the FS courses are very much "get you ready for GCSE" in a way. I think they're very good. I've had people's faces light up when I say "can you write like this in the exam, please?", which is always nice. Lots of people have the right ideas but missed the basics and were running to keep up the whole time at school (which is exhausting so no wonder they hated it), so a different pace and more short-term goals (L1 this year, L2 next and then GCSE if you want to stay on when you feel more confident) can work really well for some people..

A student who I first met doing entry 3 FS a few years ago was offered several unconditional offers to universities last year. He worked up the FS levels and then retook the GCSE older and wiser.

I really do like it. Don't think of them as being low ability, think of them as not having had the right environment to learn in. And then tell them that having a fag is not a good enough excuse for turning up 45 minutes late.

Good luck with the interview!

5. waterlillies

Hi,

Thank you so so much - really useful info!

I got the job starting next week - half Gcse which I am familiar with, the FS - I have no clue but I'm sure I will soon get used to the materials.

I hope I will like it and get a permanent role - the pay is definitely low but it's better than just doing supply day by day not belonging to anywhere.

Hope you have a nice weekend and thanks again!

6. gogogulliver

Well done!

7. AngelEd22

AngelEd22 New commenter

£20 an hour is about average pay for a sessional tutor.

8. saluki

saluki Established commenter

Unless you are an experienced teacher when 33 pounds an hour is nearer the norm.