1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hotmail nightmare

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Apr 15, 2012.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My account was hacked a few days ago and my complete contact list received some rubbish marketting scam supposedly from me. Luckily as my own email address was in the list I got it too so knew what had happened so did a complete security update and sent a snivelling email out apologising to the world and his wife.
    But then it tried to do it again and Hotmaill blocked my account. What a game!! Finally got it sorted and it is such a relief I had to warn anyone who doesn't already know (and I guess everyone but me did know) to change their passwords from time to time (like I've never done before).

2. Once you get into the habit, and set the reminder, you get the hang of it. Just don't recycle the same 2 or 3 passwords. Our IT bod said that this can also make you more likely to be hacked.
    I have 1 basic one and I add a word to the middle of it when I change it. I use a nursery rhyme as my key so I can't forget! Always include a capital letter and a non numerical character too and never use any part of your own name or the email address.
    Example, for my non Pobble account:
    TheMaryPobble!
    ThehadPobble!
    TheaPobble!
    and so on! Uncrackable I have been told! Though that may change!

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Told by someone who fails to understand such matters, alas. It is safer than many (most?) methods but not uncrackable - nothing is.

4. I had a hotmail account and it was hacked so that everyone in my contact list got an invitation to a **** site. My contacts included my old Uni tutor and our vicar amongst others. They all seemed to know what was going on so I had no need to panic as I did! I was advised not to store contacts. I dont have a hotmail account anymore but i don't store contacts in lists after that anyway.

5. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

I have an online business and I get at least 3 or 4 emails from 'hacked' email accounts every single day - the majority are hotmail accounts. Hacking is very,very common.
    I haven't kept an online address book or contacts list for quite some time now.

6. True. The simplest thing you can do with passwords is make them long, use non-alphabetical characters and never use anything found in a dictionary. A simple way is to string two car registrations together - one in capitals, one in lower case with symbols such as "!", "?","£" in there at the begining middle or end. e.g NH51AJ!bg02fca?
    If you have had a few cars in your lifetime this becomes quite easy. Remember to change them regularly!

7. My Hotmail account got hacked a few months ago and sent out ****** emails to a few people on my contacts list including my father who was the one that alerted me to it! I changed my password and Hotmail would not let me in with the new password so I had to change it to another password. I haven't had any problems since, luckily.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

At least hotmail have done something about it, AoL have done sweet FA about mine despite several contacts.

9. I deleted my address book when it happened to me!

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Interesting article here on password (in)security. Notice how many seconds a standard 7 character password will take to crack! Also the ease with which corporate systems (read school/local council) are regularly hacked. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/372736/the-ultimate-guide-to-passwords

11. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

My hotmail account has been hacked a couple of times but the last time it happened it wouldn't let me change the password or close my account! I just had to abandon it and tell all my contacts to block my old email. Grrrrr - bloomin' hate Hotmail! Quite happy with Gmail, thank you very much :)