1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hotmail account blocked. Possible scam?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Honey Loop, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I cannot access my hotmail account because, apparently, 'Someone may have used your account to send out lots of junk messages'. I am the only one with access to my account, so don't know how that could have happened.
    Windows Live is asking me to send my mobile phone number to recieve a verification code to gain access to my account.
    Should I do this, or is this some kind of weird scam?

2. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

Not sure Honey but it sounds a bit dodgy to me. Sorry I can't be more help!

3. Don't know about the mobile thing but I had to reset my hotmail password after mine was hacked and tonnes of spam was sent out to all my contacts.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

i havenever heard of hotmail wanting a mobile number.that sounds iffy
    why dont you go on line and ask microsoft
    they have virtual engineers
    or askk in thier chat rooms and see what response you get
    I certainly wouldnt give out my mobile.......well maybe to me........but then you wouldnt lol

ohh sexy honey loop mmmmm

5. My ebay account was hacked twice in 3 days to make fraudulent bids (caused a lot of stress!) and then my gmail account was hacked to make loads of spam messages as well a few days later. I have used the mobile number with paypal before for security but I had set that facility up previously online so this sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    I have stopped using ebay now - too much of a worry all round.

6. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

hmmm...thanks for the replies. I can't even access the home page to reset my password. I keep getting the 'This account has been blocked' page. When I click 'continue', it just takes me to the mobile number request page. I click on 'Customer support', but that just tells me to reset my password, or to request the password be sent to another email account. I tried that, but it wouldn't let me use any account other than a hotmail account and since I can't access hotmail...
    sigh
    Don't know what else to do

7. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-sign-in-help-center
    Try pasting this into your browser.

8. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

well...I've just checked that out, tc, and it seems to suggest that sending a message to a mobile is common practice. I'm still wary, though

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

as a thought have you checked you comp for mal or spyware honey/
    sometimes this can cause a funtion to malfunction........
    otherwise yu can delete hotmail and then relaod it again
    also try loading in say google crome or firefox as a browser and see it iwil load up in that
    i have lots of problems with IE on this machine

10. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

or try...
    http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=10
    But you're right - they do seem obsessed with SMS.

11. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

There. I gave them the mobile number of my old phone and it sent the verification number through. I used it and have been able to change my password and log on. Nothing seems amiss, but you just never know, do you?

oldie, I ran a scan and nothing showed up on McAfee. what would spy and malware show as?