1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hotels in Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Feb 28, 2016.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Considering a long weekend in Amsterdam in October,2 adults. Any recommendations? We've never been there.

2. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

I find TripAdvisor better than tes. Better to get a deal inluding flights from Expedia or similar if you want value for money.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As if that had not been my first call!

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  4. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Dunno. It was a naive question. Inter continental is good.

5. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

The mot du jour in these parts is jejune!

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Avoid the ones with red lights at the entrance :eek:

lardylady and catmother like this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why is it naive to want a recommendation from people you know?
    I hate TripAdvisor. People have such odd expectations and slate places for not fufilling them.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There are often some good recommendations on here for places to visit from people who've already been there. I might go for a tip from a Tesser, rather than TripAdvisor which often has people with a grudge.

10. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Best advice I can give is get a city card- you get most of the attractions on it, along with a canal cruise and free public transport.
    That also means that you cab get a hotel out of the centre a bit.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

upload_2016-2-28_12-37-27.png

The Movenpick was good.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Thanks. We probably don't mind the city centre. City life for a few days sounds quite good!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Thanks. I've just looked at it and unless I've made a mistake,it's quite expensive?

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Probably! But we like Movenpick hotels. ;)

Sorry. I don't know any others. You overlook the river at night. It's a lovely location but not central, central, central.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I find the opposite too, people who think something that is ok is fab, marvellous, wonderful, far too much binary attitude.

Flere-Imsaho and lindenlea like this.
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think Amsterdam hotels all seem expensive.

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Last March we stayed in the family-run Hotel Aalders, Jan Luijkenstraat 13-15. 3-minute walk to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum, in a nice part of the city and close to a tram stop and the stop for the airport bus. Rooms are small but clean, breakfast is good. Small double from €76 (£60) per night.

It is very popular, though, and often fully booked. OP should be OK for October if booked by Easter. We had a family meetup in Amsterdam and eldest son and wife, coming from America, dithered over dates until two months before and then couldn't get a room in the Aalders with the rest of us - they stayed in the Bilderberg Hotel immediately opposite. Very nice, but twice the price.

18. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I like Amsterdam very much but it is a few years since we were there. My fave hotel was the Hotel Victoria which is opposite Centraal station.....very comfortable hotel...has a pool.... position is excellent for all public transport. Not cheap.
    You are correct that hotels in A'dam do seem to be on the dear side year round... prob because they can fill their rooms.
    More budget.... my 2 friends and I took a triple room at Der Singel Hotel .It is on the Singel hotel again not far from Centraal Station. The triple room was the bonus as it was a front aspect room with double opening windows onto the canal view ! Brilliant. Other rooms in this more basic hotel I can't vouch for.

I have stayed at a couple of places I couldn't recommend. (Delta hotel on Damrak for one as they gave us a rotten room even tho informed it was for a 60th birthday celebration - I got to negotiate narrow steps without rails on narrow corridors and even steps in the bedroom even tho I informed the hotel I had a walking disability! They did however give the 2 young lads checking in ahead of us a first floor front room...triple room.... I wasn't impressed when I saw what we had been given ! The wi fi doesn't work either despite what the site says. ) You can get hotels without windows/natural light ..... not too great as we had a windowless room in one hotel on the edge of the red light district.
    Personally I don't like to stay in the museum's area as I feel they are away from the centre....but there are a lot of hotels around there.

Getting around is pretty simple.... trams are great, the water canal boat HOHO is good too worth getting a day ticket. The main canals form an ever increasing horse shoe shape..... and are fab to just walk along looking at the buildings.

I know a couple of great places to eat..... message me if you wish further info.

Incidentally if flying in... don't book expensive transfers as it is very simple to negotiate the rail system which is reliable and fast and reasonable. We have also done coach trips.... taken/booked from an office on Damrak - again not far from the station and you can get tours to Delft, den Hague or the picturesque nearby villages/sea resorts.

Other tips would be..... Anne Frank house queues can be grim.... some folk say to get there really early.... but then if everyone takes that advice...... then.... still lots of ppl..... I wonder whether it would be better to go mid/later afternoon. Am not the biggest Van Gogh fan.... I preferred the modern art museum.....
    Walking the red light area is always "interesting" and you should go! Different times of day see "different" shifts of "ladies.... and some areas have "specialities e.g. around the Oude Kirche there seemed to be rather larger ladies of colour..... The doormen at the "shows" will quite brazenly invite you to go in..... we were amused when we had my 60+ year old mum with us.

Anyway...give me a heads up or ask away if you need to know anything...

19. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Why do you want to go to Amsterdam?

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We use AirB&B for city breaks. Recently had a great time in Oslo. We go for the exclusive use of a flat, not a room in someone's home where they are in residence.