1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hot air frying

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by armandine2, Jan 9, 2011.

1. armandine2

armandine2 Occasional commenter

Just got my Philips Hot air fryer, mostly because it looks like such a serious piece of hardware like something out of alien ... I think I'll find though that it isn't such a dragon to cook with just one breath. I wonder does anyone have any compliments on this or is it another kitchen toy?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

Looks like a small oven / grill combi to me.
    I'm struggling to see how I'll do deep fried Mars Bars in it. [​IMG]
    P

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Philips has introduced Airfryer, the modern revolutionary cooking
    product which requires no oil to fry and no heat-up time, this specific
    fryer only need twelve minutes to fry and it is unlike a pan. Philips
    Airfryer could make crispy chicken nuggets, tasty French fries,
    delicately browned animal meat or fantastic pastries, and even you can
    produce delicious calamari by making use of this gadget.

I'm just wondering why you need to brown delicately meat for animals. Or do they have a non-animal source for meat? Very confusing!!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

"even you can produce delicious calamari by making use of this gadget."

Given that making calamari is a piece of the proverbial, just about anyone can make delicious calamari with nothing more technical than a decent frying pan.
    Just don't use batter, eh? Bit of seasoned cornflour and everyone's happy...

Frying without oil? Erm...maybe I'm missing something, but what would be the point of that? Isn't tasty fat part of the whole point of frying something?

And, going back to what lapinrose has mentioned, why would I want delicately browned animal meat anyway? If I want a steak or a chop, I want it nicely charred, almost burnt on the inside and beautifully pink in the middle. Not delicately browned.
    This sounds ridiculous and the sort of thing my mother-in-law would buy and never use.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

Isn't this effectively the same as using a fan oven?

6. armandine2

armandine2 Occasional commenter

Bought a 2kg bag of frozen chips the other day, not the oven ready ones, cost 90p, and tested the fryer on them (and had lunch of course) the news is that the fryer works ok. 2 mins pre-heat and two times 5 minutes of cooking time, split to give the pan a shake, there is hardly any residues and the chips cook in the coating of oil already on the chips. I wouldn't want to guess if this is actually more economical than the alternatives however it has been a quite simple, and quick, process so far.[*]