1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospitals sending C-19 patients into care homes was planned

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, May 29, 2020.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They knew what they were doing and they did it deliberately

upload_2020-5-29_13-27-12.png

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

Using the triage system that Harold Shipman developed?

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Premeditated.

4. modelmaker

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

What isn't quite clear to me is how many 'more' beds were reserved in care homes. There have always been beds reserved in care home for people leaving hospital, the one my mum was in whilst we found permanent care was only small but had 5 reserved beds..they could not use them for anyone else and they got paid whether or not they were used.

So are the 1800 referred to in the article, extra beds over and above their typical?

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Who are "they"? Wirral Council? NHS Wirrall CCG? It's not clear from your picture.

7. May2

May2 Established commenter

I was quite shocked when I heard this on TV last night. They interviewed a care home owner who had 15 beds reserved for those coming from hospital still testing positive so obviously it was likely to transmit to others. Of course no-one was told how many were dying in care homes for several weeks. Those figures were kept out of the statistics.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

They thought that hospitals would be overflowing like what happened in Italy.

So they panicked and sent people to care homes to free up hospital space without testing them.

It's bad planning and management, it's not an illuminati conspiracy.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Premedicated, more like!

theworm123 likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I wasn't at all shocked unfortunately as it wasn't news to me. I'm afraid I can't say how.

theworm123 and monicabilongame like this.
  11. modelmaker

At the time the story broke that care home deaths from Covid-19 were not being counted in the government's death total, there were anecdotal tales from a few care home managers that they had been obliged to take in people with the virus, but there was no actual evidence.

I wonder why these people weren't sent to the Nightingale hospitals instead? Was it a case that there was no likelihood of getting the number of staff required?

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The Nightingale hospitals weren't open - or even built, I think - at that time. If I am wrong then I am sure someone will be along soon to correct me.

LondonCanary likes this.
  13. modelmaker

Your article mentions discussions minuted in CCG meetings taking place in March and April. The first Nightingale hospital opened on 3rd April, so surely there would have been some joined up thinking taking place in those meetings about how to hold out until the hospitals were ready. Hotels could have been commandeered to put those patients in instead of importing the virus into care homes where the most vulnerable of dying from the disease live, couldn't they?

Or is that too sensible?

This disaster opens up so many questions, because wherever those patients went, they would need people to care for them and I think herein lies a fundamental issue about how health workers have been regardedover the past 40 years.

14. modelmaker

It's interesting that this story broke yesterday, but no news outlet other than ITN seems to want to touch it. That's very strange.

I wonder whether the protective ring around care homes that Hancock assured us was in place, actually amounted to every care home in the country being given a tube of Colgate for the ring of confidence it's alleged to bring, in much the same way that Gove assured us that sending a personally signed copy of the King James bible to every school would assure us that every child would have an excellent education.

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's how the NHS wasn't overwhelmed.

So obvious from the outset.

Was it intentional? Or are they that incompetent and that stupid?

16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Yet Cummings and other things dominate the headlines. Why does society care so little for older people? And some councils (not mine, but some near to me) are allowing schools to reopen.

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There was a radio phone-in about it over a week ago with care home workers and managers ringing in along with relatives.

Some said patients were supposed to be tested before being admitted but in some cases the results weren't received in time. So there were instances of an elderly person in an ambulance waiting to be admitted with relatives there too and the care home manager having to make the choice to let them in possibly (some definitely) with CV. Anecdotal evidence that those who turned them away avoided infections, those who let them in didn't.

This and the fact that some care home workers are agency staff who move from one home to another is what is thought to have led to so many deaths there.

18. install

install Star commenter

I thought it was common knowledge that Covid patients were going into Care Homes. Some Care Homes had the instruction not to resuscitate too I believe.

19. modelmaker

It was anecdotal. The ITN story is about having evidence.

monicabilongame likes this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

EXCLUSIVE: ITV News has obtained evidence that it was *always* the plan to discharge Covid-19 patients into care homes. 1,800 beds were block booked in care homes by the NHS and councils for that exact purpose. ...And they’re still being discharged.