1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital told RAF sergeant to leave waiting room in case his uniform upset other patients

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

That's the way it is now I'm afraid.

One can simply declare that they are offended by someone's opinion, dress or occupation... And that's it, they have the right to censor views of infringe on other people's right to public life.

If you support such things, become a TES mod.

WaylonWu and Rhoswen77 like this.
  3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Its the Daily Mail. Their grip on reality is tenuous, to say the least.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Sadly, this story appears to be true, it was on Radio 4 this morning and the hospital have apologised. There are so many made-up stories like this around but I have to admit this one is real.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It was on the BBC news this morning. I find it hard to understand why in this situation,people waiting to be seen in an hospital,the sight of someone in a uniform would offend.

6. Morninglover

Reported on both R4 & R5 this morning. They interviewed the serviceman's father. They had a reply from the hospital. Seems pretty much true....

anotherauntsally likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Was anyone offended? Probably not. Sounds like one of those story when someone decides that Christmas is going to offend some people when those people are actually quite happy to join in.

9. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

It seems to have been an action by a member of staff acting on her initiative for the sake of the greater good. Madness.

10. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

Many years ago I used to do some volunteer work in the local A&E. They always used to put anyone in uniform , police, fire etc, straight into one of the cubicles so that they could avoid the attentions of the local denizens - there was always someone who would have a "pop". - it saved everyone hassle. The service personnel never seemed bothered by this.

I would imagine if anyone cared to dig a little deeper, they would probably find that this was the case here

11. Morninglover

But that's not what the person concerned father says....

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It seems to be the father who made the complaint not the serviceman concerned who is presumably an adult and could have complained himself. Hmm! I think it could have been like catmother and pair_of_argyles (good name) have said, it was a foolish thing to do or at least badly explained.

13. Morninglover

Presumably - as a serviceman - he would not be allowed to make a public statement without permission of his superiors...His father has no such restrictions.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

An old fella came to collect his wife from the hairdresser. He sat by me on the sofa. He stank!!!

Now that WAS offensive.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The serviceman did make a statement of sorts, he said he didn't want to make a fuss. I'm not supporting what the hospital did IF they did it to avoid upsetting "people from a variety of cultures" whatever that means - yes we know! There are plenty of stories like this which turn out to be untrue, the father could have taken offence unnecessarily fuelled by these.

For example, there was a Facebook story that a branch of Tesco refused to serve service personnel in uniform to avoid upsetting Muslims. Not only was it untrue, this particular branch of Tesco does not exist. There was another story on Facebook that the British Legion do not sell poppies in 'certain areas', the British Legion have denied this. This kind of propaganda whips up a kind of defensiveness, like another angle on Ali G's "Is it because I is black".

In case you're wondering where I stand on this my son in law was in the RAF and served in Iraq, I don't think he was ever been accused of upsetting people by his very presence.

16. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I am offended by why they were offended.

Vladimir likes this.
  17. WaylonWu

If I am offended by someone who finds the sight of a service person offensive, what recourse do I have to censor in turn the person who feels offended? Or does it depend on where the offended feeling person comes from?

I mean, is there a scale of offended feelings which matter more than offended feelings of others? And if someone else feels offended by my feeling offended at the other person feeling offended, what recourse do they have to censor my offended feelings? And the same to the next person and on and on and on...?

Vladimir likes this.
  18. WaylonWu

Vladimir likes this.
  19. WaylonWu

The same applies to the many more numerous examples of "people from a variety of cultures" claiming they are offended by certain things when the truth is, after being asked, they never said any such thing and do not feel offended by the claims being made in their name. Instead, they feel resentful and angry at being used for propaganda purposes by a certain section of British society.

Vladimir likes this.
  20. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

Oh dear, there are always some people willing to defend the indefensible, willing to try and excuse the behaviour, willing to bend backwards rather than stand up and just say something is wrong.

Men and women who defend this country and protect its citizens deserve better than to be put behind a wall so they cannot be seen.

If other cultures cannot respect those who defend them ( because as long as they are here, they too are defended and protected by men in armed service uniforms) then they really should go somewhere else. They should remember ( or learn) that it was men in uniforms like this who saved this country and gave them the freedom to come here and be safe.

All this "multiculturalism", " offending others" "political correctness" really makes me sick.