1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jan 9, 2012.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Does anyone what the general pattern is nowadays? Do they serve a cooked meal in the evening or justsandwiches or does it vary?
    I'm trying to work out whether you go out for a good lunch before going in on Wednesday afternoon, or not! I have to phone to check on bed availability at 1pm as well!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Does anyone what the general pattern is nowadays? Do they serve a cooked meal in the evening or justsandwiches or does it vary?
    I'm trying to work out whether you go out for a good lunch before going in on Wednesday afternoon, or not! I have to phone to check on bed availability at 1pm as well!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm not sure Lapin as I have BUPA, but even there they tend to do soup/sarnies for lunch and proper meal in the evening.
    I suspect on NHS it is sarnies at lunchtime too. I'd get your OH to bring you something yummy when he visits!
    All the best xxx

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I was in last year - thankfully only for the day.
    I had to all but beg for a dried-up sandwich.
    Patients staying overnight got a choice of mac/cheese or fish in sauce...both of which looked/smelled identical.[​IMG]....grey and ucky!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

LOL. it's not NHS, it's private, well insurance through o/h's company, but I'll still be in an NHS hospital and on an NHS ward!! Cheek!!

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, I can remember being in after my bad RTA, Mum would bring me sandwiches as the food was so bad. Last time I was in the DGH, the food was OK though.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

My father spend a number of weeks in hospital in the summer: "food" at mid-day, soup and a sandwich in the evening.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I mentioned this to Mum....asking if she remembered the sandwich I had last year....
    'At least you got fed' she said 'When I was in with my hip (she had a hip replacement....and may need the other done this year - x-ray on Wednesday) I was in for 4 days and they never fed me! I think they had the whole ward on drips ....either because it was cheaper...or more nutritious than the food...or maybe to stop us all demanding bedpans so often!'......I think she was joking!

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

It varies so much - when I had Harry the food was great - soup and sandwiches at lunchtime and a choice of equally delicious main courses in the evening. When I was in hospital with my broken leg at the end of 2010, the food was really, really dire. You were lucky to get a curled up sandwich or a plate of grey looking food...

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Some NHS hospitals allow you to pay an extra supplement for 'good' food.
    Our 'big' hospital (James Paget) offers dire food to NHS patients. They have a proper kitchen but it doesn't cater for the patients - it prepares food for the cafe and restaurant for guests and does some conference catering too. ...patients get food brought in and reheated in trolleys - madness!
    If you pay - I think it is £300 a night (!) you get NHS treatment but a private room with TV/DVD and meals cooked to order.
    Our little local hospital (where people are often transferred for recuperation after theor op) has a small kitchen and I believe cooks all meals for patients.
    There have been a couple of TV chefs showing how poor the food is in hospitals (Heston and James Martin spring to mind).....why doesn't someone listen to them?
    Anyway....hope you get a hospital with edible food!...either that or find someone to smuggle something in!

11. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I was in hospital for two weeks when my medication for a cracked disc made me even worse and I was convinced I was in 24 (the TV show).
    Anyway, once they'd got the poison out of my blood and I could string a sentence together I was taken offr the drip and could only have warmed fluids. The "Friends of Hospital" lady who must have been 100 if she was a day felt so worried about me that she would bring in flasks of tomato soup as I couldn't cope with the gruell that they would serve me. Then she'd sit and read me the hospital newsletter. Sad times!

12. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I also remember thinking "If I ever get out of here I am having a big mac meal, large, with a strawberry milkshake and a double cheeseburger"

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'll be glad to bite and chew anything after the op bizent, it sets off the TN!!

14. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I'm sure you will...hope it all goes well for you

15. My mum spent almost all of 2011 in hopsital, the food was awful. A nurse on the ward told me that the sandwiches are sprayed, from a great height, with liquid butter, hardly penetrating the bread..imagine a dry cheese butty, no tomatoes etc..Mum said they stuck to the roof of her mouth. Every night, we would either take her food in or wheel her to the hospital WH Smith shop and pay an arm and a leg for a tasty treat..She spent a fortune in that shop.

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Does not compute!

Bloody hell, daffodilval, things must have been pretty desperate! All I've ever seen in Smiths are slightly less dry looking sandwiches than the hopsital ones and massive bags of Quavers!

17. She WAS desperate nick, one night when we visited, the staff were desperately fighting to find a vein to start a blood transfusion while she was fighting them off to eat her cheese oatcake (stoke) that we took her in..
    In my other life, when I was a nurse, many years ago, it was always empahasised that nutrition and fluids were the key to speedy recovery and we were were made to stay with our patients to encourage them to eat and drink the THEN home cooked hospital food, that was one of the main priorites and god help the nurse that disobeyed the matron and didnt do this..[​IMG]

18. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

<u></u><u></u>
    Another problem about hospital food is that when you are in hospital you often have little or no appetite. I had a week's stay a couple of years ago, and due to the three lots of antibiotics I was on nothing tasted right. Even bananas and the creamy yogurts they served didn't taste nice. I stopped drinking tea and just had water. It's a vicious circle; the less you eat the less you want to eat. You order in advance and don't fancy it when it arrives, and if you do fancy a particular food it's not available.
    How awful for some poor people who have an extended stay, especially those who do not have lots of friends and family to visit and bring treats to tempt them.

19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My experience of hospital food is limited, but it goes like this:

Nurse: I'll make you some toast. Would you like brown or white?
    Me: Brown please.
    Nurse: We've only got white bread.
    Me: I'll have white then!

Nurse (to next patient): I'll make you some toast. Would you like brown or white?
    Patient: Brown please
    Nurse: We've only got white bread.
    Patient: I won't have any then.
    Nurse: You have to eat toast before you can go. Brown or white?
    Patient: ????????????!

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

That's reminded me of when we were in having Molly (well, not me, obviously, but I was there). We were offered toast galore before the birth - it was a case of helping yourself in the small kitchen. Free to birthing mums, a small charge to dads and birth partners. It was fairly grim. Cheap, plastic, thin-sliced bread with that unsettling grey pallor that only cheap bread has, with crappy 'industrial' spread that was watery and tasteless.
    Horrible, in other words. Other than when D ate some that was made for her with a strong cuppa about half an hour after M was born, that she pronounced to be the best toast she'd ever tasted in her life!