1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital Bombing in Idlib

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Alf58, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

A hospital is bombed in Idlib, Syria and there are numerous civilian casualties. The Russians are almost certainly responsible but deny it. This does not seem to be challenged and indeed, the media coverage is decidedly 'low key'. Why? Just imagine if the RAF or the Americans had done this, the media would be full of shocking images and demands for immediate public enquiries. Where is the strident criticism? Why the silence?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A good point and I'll try to offer what could be some explanations...

1. Possibly the region isn't accessible by Western media and without pictures they don't lead in the media [online and television].

2. Maybe we are exhausted of Syria? Compassion fatigue ...

3. Russia now has the solidly developed policy of denying everything. Annexed Crimea illegally? Denied. Supported rebels in Eastern Ukraine? Denied. Shelled a hospital? Denied.

4. There won't be any firm investigation in a warzone by impartial outside investigators to determine responsibility.

5. News only has one slot for foreign news and EU negotiations are far more interesting.

Thing is events like this may soon trigger something the history books will call World War Three [maybe]... and people will be confused where the hell it came from because incidents like this were overlooked.

3. Alf58

A thoughtful response, lanokia. I wonder if incidents like this will be remembered when air forces from the Western alliance cause injury to civilians? I get the impression the Russians don't much care who they kill because there is little or no accountability.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Innocent people have been killed by "our" drones many times in the past.

You hardly hear a peep.

In a conflict where atrocities happen on an almost hourly basis, another bombing isn't much news.

I would also keep an open mind on who is responsible. I long ago stopped believing everything I get told through my TV, radio and papers

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Heard interview with MSF doctor yesterday (I think) on R5Live - pretty clear in apportioning blame on Russia.

6. Scintillant

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And don't forget Scint, one side in the US election is promising to 'carpet bomb' ISIS [I forget which hmmm]... not exactly lining up with those people who claimed that the bombings were to be precision, targeted attacks.

Thing is ... ISIS invaded and occupied part of Syria. Bombing Raqqa for example, it looks good on the news, plays well etc but really it just serves to drive the ISIS message home... we're bombing the victims of ISIS... well done us. [sarcasm]

8. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

It's a bit like 1944.

9. Scintillant

Yes, I bet you remember it.

10. Alf58

The target of the strike was a hospital (illegal). The aeroplane that dropped the bombs, Russian. The Russians deny it and this appears to be receiving not much media scrutiny. I was not suggesting anything was being "hidden away", Scintillant but suggesting there would be all hell to pay if we or the Americans had done this. Apologies if this was not clear enough for you.

I am not interested in a debate about drone strikes, the origins of the gulf war or civilian casualties in wars throughout the ages.

11. FritzGrade

I was in La Rochelle.

12. Scintillant

On a U boat?

[​IMG]

13. FritzGrade

Obviously. U-96.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

15. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I avoid the BBC for news these days.

Channel 4 and Al Jazeera are my main sources.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I caught the BBC 6 o'clock news the other day.

Thankfully Hollyoaks was on the other channel so I wasn't bereft of intelligent fare.

17. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I was in Germany last week and the only English-language news source at my hotel was BBC World, a 24-hour rolling news channel with The News on the hour every hour.

Except when the BAFTAs were on live.

News values??

18. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

While I share your outrage both at the bombing and at the woeful media coverage of what is essentially war on civilians, I don't this has anything to do with the Russians. When the US bombed an MSF hospital a while back (was it before Christmas, I'm losing a sense of time) it was repeated reported, by the BBC among others, in the passive ie "hospital bombed" rather than "US bombs hospital".

It sucks. But maybe it at least shows the media is just pathetic and not necessarily pathetic AND biassed.

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

To clarify, I don't mean the Russians weren't responsible. I mean I don't believe that the fact the Russians were responsible is the reason for the tone of the media coverage.