1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital Bag - What will I actually need?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by gembop, Aug 6, 2009.

1. I have a beautiful leather M&S holdall (buying that was the easy bit) but now I'm packing it and my pregnant brain is struggling. There's lots of lists online but what will I ACTUALLY need? Is there anything any of you didn't have but wish you had? x

2. I have a beautiful leather M&S holdall (buying that was the easy bit) but now I'm packing it and my pregnant brain is struggling. There's lots of lists online but what will I ACTUALLY need? Is there anything any of you didn't have but wish you had? x

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I'm trying to remember what I took! Ok....
    clothes for yourself and baby (take enough in case you end up staying in a few days), breast pads, maternity pads, nappies, wipes, nappy sacks, muslin squares, hairbrush, towel, washbag...
    I took a book but never even read one page of it even though I was in hospital nearly 4 days, but take one anyway. I also took my ipod but never listened to it. Take some drinks and something to eat. You might give birth in the middle of the night and not be given anything, and hospital food is **** anyway.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I forgot...PJs or a nightie (with buttons), slippers or flip flops. I also had a dressing gown. Although it was hot, I wore it to walk to the bathroom.

5. Brilliant, thanks. What kind of clothes should I take for myself? A few nightshirts and something to come home in? x

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I just took some of my maternity clothes, like my jeans, trousers and some loose tops. I didn't get dressed at all on one of the days, just slobbed aboutin my PJs! Who cares when you're in a hospital?!
    Oh, take a blanket or shawl to take baby home in. Obviously you will need a car seat, but whoever is taking you home can bring that in when you leave.
    The hospital tells you to put a vest on your baby as well as a babygro, but Jack was too hot like that. We did put a hat and scratch mits on at first, but think he preferred not to have them! He's a warm baby!

7. I try not to get dressed even when I'm at home so stopping in PJs will be my thing!! I have no idea about layering up on the baby other than they usually need one more layer than you do. I am very sad and have the 'coming home' outfit laid out in the nursery which is a babygro and a thicker pramsuit thing and hat. I'll pit the blanket in the car boot with the car seat. Am getting that out today and am going to practise putting a teddy in it! x

8. I found this really helpful:

http://www.mumsnet.com/pregnancy/hospital-bag

9. Mine has:
    • 3 vests
    • 3 sleepsuits
    • cotton wool balls
    • nappies
    • muslin squares
    • scratch mits
    • Will have nighties for me (if you end up with C-section pjs could be very uncomfy on scar)
    • Joggers/jeans for me to go home in
    • Wash bag for me
    • breast pads
    • maternity pads

10. Thanks - this is very helpful! My husband is off work tomorrow so we're going to make a list of anything else we need and go to mothercare. I think I still need some cotton wool, muslin squares and another nightie.

x

11. Make sure it's a dark one! (blood stains)

12. You see I just hadn't thought of that!! x

13. One thing I'm *really* glad I took was Magicool spray. Honestly, it was fabulous!

14. mermy

mermy New commenter

My midwife told me to use common sense.
    I usded this as a starting point but added or removed things that were important / not important to me. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/whattopack/
    Basically you need clothes and toiletries for yourself and your baby and some stuff for labour.
    Actually none of the others mentioned the labour part bag. I have a bag (which I call the lordship's bag) which includes:
    entertainment: magazines, books, DS
    snacks: gummi bears - recommended my midwife because they give you something to do (sucking), lollies, crisps, chocolate (again, sugar and sucking)
    drinks: packed a bottle of squash and will ask for water in the hospital
    other: camera and charger, mobile phone chargers, list with numbers, change money for parking
    That is all I can think of at the moment, but as I said - use your common sense and see what is important for yourself.

15. Take Flash-wipes to clean toilet flush handle etc in the hospital. You don't want to be picking up anything nasty. Also, flip-flops for the shower.

16. I agree with what everyone else has said but no one has mentioned underwear. They usually say disposable knickers on lists but personally did not fancy them so bought some very cheap ones but please dont make my mistake of buying white!?! Goodness knows what I was thinking. If you are thinking of breast feeding get some nursing bras.

17. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I got some cheap underwear from Sainsburys actually....and yes, get black! But you can wear 2 maternity pads at the same time which feels really odd but stops any, um, leaks!
    Good point about the wipes for the bathroom. It was pretty manky in there. Oh, maybe take a bath mat too as there wasn't one, and there wasn't a shower curtain.

18. Rapidly developing a fear of hospital showers!!!

19. I would pack 2 bags - one to take in with you when you get there and one to leave in the car.
    The second one can have spare change of clothing/extra nappies for the baby, change of nightie and clothes for you, spare towel.
    The first can have all the stuff you will need during labour and immediately after.
    That way, you don't have a weeks worth of packing to route through when you are trying to find your clean knickers!!!
    And on the knickers front, I took my oldest least white ones for hospital and afterwards and then treated myself to some nice new ones later on rather than wasting money on ones that were going to end up grotty.
    With my first 2 we never made it to the second bag (although with the second baby i'd left the second bag at home so my husband could bring it in and that had my going home outfit - only we weren't admitted to the ward and went straight home but fortunately the clothes i arrived in were still ok - i'd recommend leaving the second bag in the car!!).

20. YOY

YOY

Pack a decent size and dark coloured towel - you will want a bath or shower, and the hospital I was in didn't have towels.
    And a plastic sieve if you want to use the birthing pool.