1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital appointment on last day of term

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylady, Jul 8, 2011.

1. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I have been waitng for a hospital appointment for some time, and got the letter yesterday. It's on the last day of term at 12. I obviously intend to go into school for a couple of hours beforehand, but we finish at 1.30 on that day so by the time I have come out of hospital and driven back to work, the school day will be over. Therefore, I intended to go home afterwards. Will it count as an absence? I rememeber being told a while back that absences on the last day of term are tricky, as you have to self certify to prove that you weren't ill over the holidays. Sorry if this sounds a bit thick.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I would take the letter in to school with you and attach a copy of it to the relevant form for requesting time off.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Like Henriette says.Take the letter in and request the time off. Can't see it being a problem at all.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

But you are not going to be absent for reason of sickness.

5. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

True, but I didn't know if a medical appointment came under the same umbrella. Thanks for the replies [​IMG]

6. Go to hospital but keep the appointment letter. and don't be so scared of your management

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not sickness absence, it's leave (which should fall within your school's policy on paid leave) for only part of the day.

8. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I'm not scared of management!! Does my original post suggest that??

9. To me it did. Sorry if you aren't.