1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gemspecs, Feb 11, 2017.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

There are some tactless people around.
    Mine told me it was to prevent keloid scarring and also because of the position of the suture.

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Take some cheap throw away slippers. Hospital toilets and floors are not the cleanest of places. Thick socks to keep your feet warm. Hand gel and wet wipes. Nice toiletries such as body lotion and hand cream. Magazines as you are unlikely to be able to concentrate on anything more taxing. Definitely ear plugs and a face mask. Hospitals are noisy places at night.
    When you come home make sure you have plenty of pillows to get yourself comfortable.

3. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

If they offer you Temazepam to help you sleep, take it!

slingshotsally likes this.
  4. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

I've been following this thread because I suspect I'm going to end up having the same sort of procedure. I hope yours goes well. I don't have any experience but did read about bringing a cushion or pillow to put between your stomach and the seatbelt in the car on the way home. I'm not sure if that has been mentioned.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Good tip!

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

For me, I would far rather assume posters are asking a genuine question than not. Several reasons. If it is a genuine question (and I think Gemspecs is one such), I would hate to be unpleasant to some one who is looking for support and advice, and perhaps upset them more and make things worse.

It really is no skin off my nose be it real or made up, and for those who constantly view others suspiciously with no cause, then I pity them and think what ungenerous souls they must be.

And finally as rayondesoliel1976 shows, the answers that pop up are usually beneficial to many others here, so who really cares if the OP is genuine or not. Get a life!

Gemspecs likes this.
  7. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I've had four abdominal ops, two ovarian cysts quite a few years ago so long horizontal scars and a few days in hospital. Appendix and gall bladder removal more recent but by keyhole. For the last two I had day surgery. Like you, I was anxious but I was amazed at how one minute I was chatting to the anaesthetist while having the anaesthetic put into the cannula, and the next I was waking up in recovery, thinking the anaesthetic had not worked.

It is important to take the painkillers regularly and not wait until you are actually in pain before taking them. People react differently to the anaesthetic but I was very sleepy for a few days so slept a lot and did find it difficult to concentrate on anything for long. Some painkillers can make you constipated so a mild laxative at hand is a good idea.

Regular small snacks and drinks. Keep warm. Try to mobilise a bit every day.

Compared to the pain I was experiencing before the surgery, recovery was a relief.

Of all the problems, the appendix was the worst because I was admitted with a burst appendix and they could not operate until the infection had cleared, so huge doses of intravenous antibiotics and a week in hospital. The antibiotics made all food taste awful and I felt retchid. I had the removal a few weeks later which was fine.

Thank goodness for mobile phones. Right by your side, a friendly chat can really lift you at times and means you don't have to put on a brave face or talk if you don't want to. Maybe giving a close friend a spare key would save you having to answer the door.

I hope your op and recovery go well.

frangipani123 and Gemspecs like this.
  8. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

Still at work this week and feeling very tired and anxious and sorry for myself-got the question of WHEN the actual day will be left unanswered and it's hanging over me like the Sword of Damocles. OH left at 5am this morning and won't see him until 10th March at the earliest.

I'm too well-behaved to phone in sick for the remainder of the week though, as the pain really isn't that bad and I know it will all be over soon.

Just lessons,marking, data, meetings and a parents' evening to get through first...:(

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you're in pain you should not be at work. You need to get as much rest as possible before the operation.

InkyP likes this.
  10. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I agree with @jubilee - you need to be as rested as possible, so if you feel unwell and are in pain, take the time off. I was worn out by the time I had my first hip surgery which meant I was in hospital twice as long as everyone else and also had a blood transfusion (fantastic!) as I was exhausted.

Put yourself first.