1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gemspecs, Feb 11, 2017.

1. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Think everything has been covered here, great advice - my op was over 20 years ago now and I was in hospital for 10 days (how things have changed). I had the surgery at the beginning of September and went back to work after Christmas and I can honestly say it changed my life.
    If I were having it now, I would definitely be looking in the pound shop for 3 pairs of cotton pants for £1 - anything you can throw away will be a bonus. Best wishes for a speedy recovery x

Gemspecs and Dragonlady30 like this.
  2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Get Arnica tablets, 100 strength if you can, if not get 30c. Take one the night before the op, slip under the tongue and let it dissolve. same nest morning, one as soon as you come round, then another before sleep. Take 3 at even intervals during the day after, then 2 then 1. They will help with recovery from the anaesthetic and the bruising your body will get from the surgery.
    I do this and am ready to eat and keep it down very soon after waking.

Gemspecs likes this.
  3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Lots of good ideas given! :)

I would definitely add my vote for cleaning and ironing. Before I had an operation last year I found a cleaning service that would also do my ironing. I was up front with them that I would only need them for about three months and they were happy to take the job on. It meant there was no ill feeling when I was well enough to do it myself and stopped them coming.

Think about clothes that are easiest to put on.

Ask, if you can, what aids you are likely to need.

Mine was a different operation, but have you considered a booster cushion may be a good idea? I used mine in the car, at the dining table and on the sofa - it made getting in and out of chairs very much easier.

I needed an aid for getting on and off the toilet easily. I had a riser seat on the downstairs toilet and a frame around one upstairs.

The Red Cross have a supply of aids that you can borrow. The physiotherapist at the hospital gave me details about our local branch.

Stews are easy to cook in advance and freeze in portions. I have bought some of these microwaveable food bowls. You can freeze portions, defrost and then warm in the microwave and eat from the bowl. Saves washing up and with the handle is easy to carry.

All the very best for the operation and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Oh yes - forget about school whilst you are recovering. Do not fret - let them all get on with it - they'll cope! :D

Gemspecs likes this.
  4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I've never had your type of operation so cannot give advice better than all the comments here. However, I did have an op some years ago and caused great hilarity among the nurses before I went down. The conversation went something like:

Nurse. Dragon, have you any piercing to remove?

Me. No, I left my earrings at home.

Nurse. Any others?

Me. No, I just said I'd left my earrings at home.

Nurse. Are you sure?

Me. Of course. Just check my ears.

By this time, the nurses were in fits, and then the penny dropped. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I was the first op on a Monday morning, and they forgot to give me my pre-op but I wasn't bothered. When I arrived at the theatre to be knocked out, it was like the United Nations of staff. They were all chatty and made me feel at ease, but I was nervous, never having had an operation before. When asked if I was OK, I said yes, but could someone please hold my hand. A man mountain appeared and gently took my little hand in his enormous paw. He was fab!! :D :D :D

5. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Am thinking I must have been just plain lucky with my nine-inch gallbladder op (before keyhole). Was up and about the next day, home in five and childminding three days later. Mind, I did have my husband with me for five days after I came out, and when I unthinkingly lifted a child off a wall, some of my staples popped out. But I didn't find any of it particularly painful. The consultant put my rapid recovery down to early mobilisation, which I only did because I hate injections and refused to have the daily heparin shot.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Excellent advice.

I wonder if you can get rice paper pants to save on further shopping?

Gemspecs likes this.
  7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I had my gall bladder removed by keyhole surgery and was thrown out at 7am the next day because they needed the bed! I seem to remember that I was cooking the evening meal the day I came out, and was at the supermarket with my daughter, the next day.
    A nurse from the ward saw me and was quite alarmed to see me pushing a trolley.
    I took it easy after that!

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Wouldn't it have been less trouble if you'd allowed the surgeon to be in the same room as you were?

9. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

You can get a 30 day free trial with Netflix if that's your thing. Also amazon do a 30 day free trial of Kindle Unlimited if you're a reader.
    Had an emergency c-section and would agree with those that mentioned big pants so nothing is rubbing against stitches.
    Don't try and do anything for a while afterwards. I came the next day and decided to clean the house in case of visitors...big mistake and set my recovery back. Must have been hormones as I've never been as bothered since!
    Good luck

Gemspecs likes this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I did this but I can't say it helped.

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

She shouldn't have to. People shouldn't automatically think the worst of people. It's non of our business what Gem's partner does.

Wishing you the best of luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

ROSIEGIRL, Gemspecs and Dragonlady30 like this.
  12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My sister swears by arnica for bruising as she says it clears it up in 5-6 days. I pointed out that most bruising clears up in that time frame with no arnica!

slingshotsally and InkyP like this.
  13. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

For C-section (x 2)
    - Internal stitching was dissolvable
    - External was silk with a bead at either end and was pulled out at appropriate time in one long section.

Bowel Surgery (x1)
    - Internal dissolvable
    - External silk
    - Some artificial non-dissolvable came out as the body repaired itself
    - There is still some parts of repair that will remain inside for the remainder of my life, and can only be removed surgically (should that be necessary)

Gemspecs likes this.
  14. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Quite scary how many people have had serious operations! I think I'd be terrified!

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I didn't know about it until after the event. It's my husband who was terrified and had all the stress, being told that the baby and I were on a knife edge for surviving.

palmtree100 likes this.
  16. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

That long stitch with a bead at the end - that's supposed to give a better cosmetic result. I had quite a large lump removed from my breast when I was 30 and they told me they would be using that stitch so I would have a neater scar. I was quite chuffed til he added that they do that as a bit of a favour to young women. As if it doesn't matter what your scar looked like if you were 50. :mad:

17. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I was terrified, so much so that I kept putting off the hip replacement surgery, was in agony and started looking at wheelchairs. Then I realised that I needed to get a grip and do it. All the things I'd worried about - having a catheter put in the back of my hand (hate needles), getting an infection, having one leg shorter than the other, dying - didn't happen. Once I'd accepted I was going to have it done I became more zen about the whole thing, which stood me in good stead when I had the second one done four months later. I just got to the point where I realised I would have to deal with whatever came my way, as we all do.

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I had a hip replacement operation several years ago and coped fine at home afterwards even though I live alone. I had four weeks off work. A younger colleague had the same procedure and was off for three months. I suspect the fact that he had a wife and two teenage children to run around after him actually delayed his recovery.

19. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I have nothing to add to all the excellent advice here, but I just wanted to wish you well and hope you have a speedy recovery! X

20. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I had that injection too.

It's also given because of family history.