1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gemspecs, Feb 11, 2017.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I would just add - a stock of paperbacks to read (or a kindle?) and magazines?

Gemspecs likes this.
  2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I needed to get some home decorating done before my baby came home so I actually decorated a ceiling and painted walls 6 weeks after the surgery! I really did feel better than I had for years and that's probably because I no longer had parts of my 4 year old son's placenta growing inside me!

InkyP likes this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Perhaps the partner is currently residing at Her Majesty's pleasure ...

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

... or he could be in the Armed Forces, or away supporting a dying family member, or working abroad nad unable to get compassionate leave.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

... or a spy on a top secret under cover mission!

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I was 37 and the op was a more brutal than average c section. The surgeon was very surprised I was on my feet the next day (admittedly it was agony!). My scar however is pretty tiny, only about 5 inches across and within days looked no more than a small pinky pen line. I now have to really look to see it at all.
    I had dissolvable stitches though. It might be worth asking how they're going to stitch you up because that might affect the size and position of the scar and thus your underwear choices after.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes, but don't be surprised if you can't concentrate on reading after a General Anaesthetic although I think I probably take longer than most people to recover. Someone lent me a Boxed Set of The fortunes of War to watch when I got home, I was about 6 episodes in before I had the faintest idea what it was all about. My brain was in a fog for weeks.

petaloutha likes this.
  8. petaloutha

petaloutha Lead commenter

I'm not surprised!

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Mine is about 5" but vertical and still there after 16 years. The surgeon apologised the next day that it was crooked and said that because I was so thin it was difficult to draw the two sides of flesh together to sew up. :eek:

Like @jubilee I felt so much better once I had recovered it was well worth going through.

Gemspecs likes this.
  10. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

Thanks all for your replies-too many to tag, but lots of brilliant advice! Not a spammer-I promise:rolleyes:-just someone who feels a bit overwhelmed at the moment and knows that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here-I don't know anybody that's been through a similar situation in my own life, but I knew people on here could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for those who defended my honour regarding my partner-he is in the Armed Forces and has been told he will lose his job for refusing to comply with his current orders. He feels devasted that he can't be there, I assure you. It's going to be hard enough as it is, and now I won't even have him with me. Luckily, I have several lovely friends who live not too far away and have said they will help out where possible.

Now off to budget for a cleaner (and stock up on paper pants :eek:!)...

11. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Good luck with it!

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Ditto with my scar. In fact, a year after my operation when I went for a check up, the doctor had fread my notes, started to examine me and then turned to the nurse and said thet this was the wrong patient as he could find no scar for abdominal surgery. I had to confirm that I was Mrs jubilee and then had to root around (ahem!) to point out the extremely fine, pale line of the incision.

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Why not tell us this about your partner in your opening post? You can see how sympathetic people are on here. (Except me, I am a bit more circumspect, having encountered many a tin of processed meat)

14. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

It's fine, don't worry. I just wanted to avoid giving too many personal details away on here, should I ever need it for anything work-related in a negative way. I understand that people have been deceived on here before-I didn't wish for that to be how my post was interpreted!

Calpurnia99 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't know that I would bother with paper pants. You can get cheap fabric ones from Asda to throw away and paper ones can be quite nippy with elastic.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Don't have any fizzy drinks! They're really not a good idea when you're less mobile. Extra gassiness after abdominal surgery is not a good idea. If you want the taste of your favourite fizzy drinks, decant them and let them go flat first.

17. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Think people have covered most things. A notepad and pencil, wet wipes, some sweets are all useful to take in with you. Nightdresses rather than pyjamas. I also found the ward I was on absolutely freezing and wished I'd taken a cardigan/thicker dressing gown with me. Some change, mobile plus charger. Earplugs as it can be noisy at night, maybe an eye mask. Lavender oil to help you relax. Some moisturiser.

At home a grabber is useful, a stool in the kitchen, lots of microwavable food, a trolley if you have one so you don't have to carry food/drinks, some easy viewing as anaesthetics can give you brain fog. Put things in places where you don't have to bend or stretch. A small backpack can be good for going up and down stairs with stuff. Keep your phone with you at all times. I had lots of lovely friends who helped me too, but it can be good to have a timetable as to when people will come and keep you company/make a meal etc, in the initial days at least.

My surgeon recommended Bio Oil for use on my scar and it is good.

It's normal to feel nervous, I know I did, but they are very experienced and will have dealt with your issues many times before. I used some visualisation techniques as I was wheeled in to have the anaesthetic - I pictured myself in a field full of wild flowers on a beautiful sunny day with the birds singing. It did help.

Gemspecs and Dragonlady30 like this.
  18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

It's all coming back to me now!

I found a notebook to record medications and times they needed to be taken and a space to tick them off was essential. Depending on what you come out with it can be confusing, especially when off your nut on medication. I think I had 2 types of painkiller, a blood thinner which was self injecting (a lot less scary than it sounds) and stuff to make poos soft because straining after abdominal surgery is NOT fun!! There might have been other stuff, I can't remember, and they all had different times and doses. Without a record I would have been completely lost! And I found the pain was bad with medication so making sure I was always topped up properly was very important.

Gemspecs likes this.
  19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The pre-med can make you weepy. I was in tears going down the theatre but didn't really know why. The nurse with me said 'Do you think you'll wake up and you'll have turned into an old crone'. She'd seen it all before, bless her.

Gemspecs and Dragonlady30 like this.
  20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Safe to say they did not have this problem with me!!