1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gemspecs, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

Hello,

I found out yesterday that I'm going to have to go into hospital for a relatively urgent/serious operation in the next week or two (gynaecology, let's leave it at that!) and am looking for advice please. My partner is away at the time and can't come home, and only got my dad to look after me, who lives about 20 miles away. Should be in for 2/3 days and then home and off for for 3/4 weeks depending on recovery (similar operation scale to a caesarean). Any advice on: what to take with me; what to not take; what to get ready for when I get home (I may well be living on my own for most of the recovery period after the first day or two at home); things to keep me busy; good things to cook in advance; coping strategies for possible pain/boredom; anything else worth thinking about etc?

Any bits of wisdom much appreciated!

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

It's quite a major op and I wish you a speedy recovery.

As you might have difficulty standing, vacuuming etc it might be an idea to get a

1. A cleaner to come in once a week to vacuum round, mopping etc
    2. A laundry service that also provides ironing
    3. Ready meals stocked up

I would ask your nurse or doctor for further requirements.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I'd have to say that you seem to have a poor partner.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Take plenty of clean underwear and night clothes. Slippers. Snacks if you think you'll need them. Reading matter although you might be too dozy to read after a GA. Crossword puzzles although the same applies. Phone charger. A friend recommended liquorice as a mild laxative when I went in for my hysterectomy but I still needed lactulose to get me going.

When you get home if you can arrange a cleaner for a couple of weeks it would help as you might not be able to lug a hoover around. I stocked up with ready meals but found cooking wasn't a problem. Washing up was OK too although I couldn't twist round and had to literally walk in a circle to put things away. Some people find bending over hard and an OT friend lent me a grabber to pick things up. I didn't need it as I was quite fit then and could bend at the knees. I couldn't drive for 6 weeks after my op and when I did it was surprising how much flexing my feet to brake pulled on my abdominal muscles.

Do the exercises the physios give you religiously. They do work.

If I think of anything else I'll get back

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not necessarily my SIL works abroad or on off shore oil platforms. Its hard to get back. We don't know the circumstances.

6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I took paper knickers - I didn't want to lug it around and didn't have anyone who could collect it to do the washing for me.

With nighties, I bought some inexpensive ones which I washed and took in. When these were soiled, I threw these away too.

Wet wipes were very useful, just to freshen up and give a simple bed bath when too incapacitated by pain to move.

monicabilongame, Gemspecs and InkyP like this.
  7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Take a pen and small note pad to take brief notes on what you are told by the doctors. Such discussions always go over my head so it helps me to ask questions and discuss it with friends and family later when looking for advice.

All the best and get over it soon.

8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Have painkillers close and accessible without having to bend or stretch. Mine lived on the counter. In fact keep as much stuff as possible where it's easy to reach. If it's similar to a c section then the pain afterwards will be difficult. I found I had to walk about doubled over for the first couple of days.

If you're in a house, think about setting up somewhere to sleep downstairs just in case as I couldn't climb stairs for a couple of days after and so had to sleep on the sofa.

Worst part was standing up from sitting/lying so leave yourself time to take that very slowly ie don't leave going for a wee till it's urgent!

I was given a 6 week recovery window but was 75% back to normal after 3 so those are the weeks I'd focus on. Stock up on tins of long life food or freeze stuff. That way your dad only has to keep you stocked with milk and bread.
    Cooking/heating things wasn't such a problem but there was no way I could have gone to the shops for fresh ingredients.

Most of all, don't overdo it.
    I hope it all goes well and you have a swift recovery.

Gemspecs and InkyP like this.
  9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

That is very harsh jacob! You don't know any of the details.

InkyP and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Just to agree with the recommendations on here, and to wish you a speedy recovery.
    If you own a Kindle, load it up with favourite books, and keep it charged.

Gemspecs, InkyP and Dragonlady30 like this.
  11. petaloutha

petaloutha Lead commenter

Gemspecs, do you have any friends or neighbours nearby? If so, why don't you tell them that you will be at home recovering from the op and out of action for some time? People are generally kind and helpful and if they would pop in from time to time that might be a nice distraction. I hope it all goes well for you.

Gemspecs, InkyP and (deleted member) like this.
  12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I don't think it is. A partner is supposed to be there for you, and employers are supposed to have some degree of flexibility to accomodate this sort of thing. That is all I meant, but no details were forthcoming, and I notice as with a lot of these new posters who put up some sort of lifechanging dilemma, she has not been back to elucidate. I am not saying its another scammer, but you compassionate lot have fallen for it before, and I don't mean being scammed by the famous Chiwawa (sic) owner with the one legged girlfriend called "Eileen".

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Why the small notepad when you can write brief notes on the briefs?

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had an emergency caesarian followed immediately by a hysterectomy (pre-cancerous placental tumours). The most discomfort I had was aching shoulders. That's apparently caused by the air that gets into the abdominal cavity. I recommend a supportive V pillow.

If your surgery is being done vaginally, a foam ring pillow to sit on would help. I used one after my first pregnancy where I delivered a 9 pounder and had to be cut and stitched up and then, 9 days later, had the cut reopened when I haemorrhaged and needed a D &C.

Great advice above about having ready meals in that just need reheating. Do what house cleaning you can before going into hospital. Think about where you will spend most of the day when recovering and place books, magazines, pens, phone etc nearby.
    Make sure that you are stocked up with toiletries, loo paper and non-perishable groceries.
    Book a cleaner for a 2 hour and a one hour session per week (they charge around £10 per hour, I gather) per week and let the cleaner do the laundry, hoovering and shhopping, if necessary. The cleaner puts puts the dirty washing on as soon as s/he arrives on the 2 hour visit and can then hang everything up on airers before leaving. They do ironing on the second visit a few days later.
    Get a good thermos flask and when you make a hot drink in the morning or at night, make enough for filling the flask as well. The flask then goes into the lounge/bedroom.
    Use on-line grocery shopping.

I felt back to normal 5 weeks after my hysterectomy but I was only 29 at the time so the healing process was probably quicker.

15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You might not be able to bend very well. Slip on shoes and a grabber, easy loose clothing you can just shove on. Have a think about your kitchen before hand and put anything you might need that's currently high/low/right at the back of a cupboard in a more accessible position.

Good luck!

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Milk and bread freeze very well.
    What brilliant ideas on here - the grabber is a great one.
    Netflix isn't that great imo but only costs 6.00 / month and can be cancelled easily. For binge watching I'd recommend House of Cards and The Crown.
    Very best wishes by the way :):)

Gemspecs likes this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If you are going to have an abdominal scar (I've got a whopper) think about where your pants might rub. A friend of mine stocked up on big waist high pants but I preferred ones that would go under the scar. Admittedly you might not know what you need until you come out.

NoIdeaWhy2, Dragonlady30 and Gemspecs like this.
  18. petaloutha

petaloutha Lead commenter

Is that what you gather your rosebuds with while ye may, lindenlea?

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I try pet but at times a grabber would be really useful #ouch

petaloutha likes this.
  20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was 45 and had a huge cut, as previously mentioned. I was off work for three months, went back for two weeks before the Summer Holiday and was totally exhausted by this, then fully recovered over the Summer.

Gemspecs likes this.