1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hosepipe ban - can I attach a hose to my water butt and water the garden with that?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mandala1, Apr 6, 2012.

1. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

?

Thanks!

2. mandala1

?

Thanks!

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes - it's not mains water and you've collected it yourself so you can do what you want with it.
    I'm just not sure the pressure would be sufficient to be worth it. Have you tried it before?

4. I've just googled as your post reminded me that I'm not sure. They ought to write to us, I think...
    Anyway, googled 'hose pipe ban and areas affected - sent to a page that lists the areas - click on yours to find the full details.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My dad does that in France as they also have very strict hosepipe bans. He's got some kind of electric pump. I assume that you could get one here too.

6. mandala1

Thanks - my garden is on a slope and the water butts are at the top - I have done this regularly and it's fine, pressure wise.

7. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

so long as the water butt is only filled with rainwater, yes. Source: http://www.hosepipeban.org.uk

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

That would make sense if you can get one.
    The ban on hosepipes is in place because of the volume of mains water that's used by one, especially when used with a sprinkler which are often left on for hours.
    Using a hosepipe per se isn't banned, surely, just one connected to the mains.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

So you can collect rainwater, store it and use it efficiently? You are Just the sort of person missing from water company boardrooms.

11. [​IMG]

12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We have a pump we got for about £25 from Lidl last year which we drop in the water butts, of which we have 5. We dont have any water at the back of our house so it is how we have always watered the garden. We grow our own veg, use water retaining gel and mulch very well.