1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Horror films for Christmas vacation

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ArdethBay, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Can anyone suggest some good horror films to watch over the Christmas vacation? Especially any less well known films.

2. Can anyone suggest some good horror films to watch over the Christmas vacation? Especially any less well known films.

3. mikeshaw

mikeshaw Administrator Staff Member

For a second I thought you meant horror films with a Christmas theme - and could only think of "Gremlins" (classic) and the Rare Exports: "A Christmas Tale" one from Finland last year featuring a very frightening Santa.
    Tricky recommending a horror film without knowing what your tastes are. I'll just name two British ones I thought were good: "My Little Eye" and, better known, "The Descent".
    For a classic, creepy ghost story, I'd recommend renting or downloading "Crooked House" by Mark Gatiss broadcast on the BBC about two Christmases ago.
    All the best,
    michael.shaw@tes.co.uk

4. what about those MR James ones Whistle and I'll come to you is very creepy and I think the most sinister thing I've ever seen is "Baby" which was part of Nigel Kneale's Beasts series form the 1970s. I couldn't go to bed straight after and I'm glad I wasn't pregnant when I watched it.

5. Pans labyrinth and the orphanage. Both directed by Guillermo del toro.

6. As another poster said, it can be difficult to recommend films not knowing your tastes. The 'Box of the Banned' has some good classic video nasties (avoid the 'Box of the Banned 2' though). I quite like some of the Tartan Asia Extreme titles - Oldboy is excellent, as is Lady Vengeance, and I really liked Freezer too. There are some incredibly good Japanese and Korean horror movies around, often late at night on FilmFour.
    The Evil Dead series is good, although it did descend into comedy-horror by the release of Army of Darkness, and is worth a watch if you haven't seen them.
    I'm a big fan of zombie horror movies so I'd recommend ones like Dawn of the Dead (the original and the 2004 remake), Day of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Zombieland... I'll stop there!

7. Dinx67 I like your taste.

8. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

If it's zombies you want, could I suggest the Norwegian classic 'Dead Snow'? Nazi zombies...great film!

9. Cheers, saz! [​IMG]
    MrsA, that's a very good film indeed - I'd forgotten about it!
    I have been caught out a few times when looking for new (to me) horror movies - there seems to be quite a market for soft-****/horror cross-over films, so watcher/buyer beware!

10. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

The Shining!