1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Horror as NEU in deep crisis as Labour slams belligerent leadership for putting children at risk

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Luvsskiing, May 14, 2020.

1. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Really? Is the data from around the world not reliable?

2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Is it worth prioritising that over getting kids back to school though?

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Hmm - Well if kids spread the virus as well as adults there will be a larger network of transmission for the virus because of the lower social distancing in place. Parents and teachers are more likely to catch the virus. That is the risk. What are the benefits.

Teaching will be limited and the focus will be on (at primary particularly) pastoral care. For some children the learning will still be more than they get at home. Similarly though, for some the learning will less.

Parents may be able to return to work, particularly white collar workers who can work from home. Those in service industries may still struggle as childcare providers will be severely limited. Also grandparents can not do childcare for them. Most schools will have staggered start times and or days which children come in. So employers need to be flexible, but many won't be.

Other issues. After Yr N, R, 1 and 6 (and keyworker children) are in primary schools where are the rest of the year groups meant to go? There will be no more space in the school unless you scrap any pretence of social distancing.

So yes. I do think it is worth prioritising that over getting the kids back. The rush to get children back to school is not about improving their education as most teachers know. It is about childcare, which is not going to work out as well as they think.

If it were about education, a better model would be for a blended learning approach and children to go into school for half to one day a week. The rest made up of work given when in school and distance learning

4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Now that depends.

There is a difference between being reliable and accurate.

I could quite easily devise an experiment that reliably gives me inaccurate results or indeed meaningless results reliably.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Stiltskin likes this.
  5. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

Have a look at this and tell me kids don’t get or spread it.

Every other country back to school has measures in place to reduce transmission. We are not even waiting until the cases are significantly low. This government is so inept. Why do you think there are articles on google and in the mail that suggest children don’t spread or catch the virus? It can either be:
    1. Children don’t always show symptoms so are rarely tested
    2. Governments are hand picking cases as an example (for example the kid who didn’t pass the virus to 175 of his mates on a skiing holiday) to get us back to work
    3. We don’t know anything about this disease and the data picture is changing all the time.

Attached Files:

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Interesting post by the BBC head of statistics. Taking data from before April 20th to draw the conclusion of its headline. Of course if you look at percentage of teacher deaths attributed to Covid 19 then it is very similar to that of nurses (20%).

7. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

Despite the best efforts of the unions to be as negative as possible and stop any children or teachers returning to schools, the Government has won!! The start of the great return has begun. Small steps, but that is what is required, and we are 'lucky' if that's the right word, in that we can look at a range of other nations and see what has worked and what hasn't.

There will no doubt be C19 outbreaks in the future again. There may even be a tradegy in school with adults and children. But the alternative the unions were putting forward, for everyone to stay at home, get paid, no schooling for the children, until at least 2036 just wasn't feasible. If Rosie Duffield Labour MP can happily break the lockdown rules, I see no reason why the rest of us can't get schools functioning again.

Common sense has broken out. Well done, the Tory party. You are generally a bunch of ******* but on this, you got it right. Well done Tony Blair for supporting this measure on TV this morning. Well done the Labour Party for (generally) supporting the move. Let's just now hope the unions see sense and get on board instead of making everyone as miserable as they can for political aims.

Good luck today to the fabulous teachers, assistants, cleaners and everyone else in school and of course, good luck to the children. Have a wonderful day!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

1) The alternative the unions were putting forward was not what you say (or even close).
    2) If you were a teacher you'd know that pretty much all of us have been working up until now already.
    3) Similarly, that schooling was still happening.

alex_teccy, Marisha and strawbs like this.
  9. adultsocialcare

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52872670

Three deaths of under 15 from C19 to the start of May. (There were around 40 primary children killed last year). Let's ban cars.

The unions were coming up with all sort of unachievable nonsense. As a teacher, I was gauled by some of the demands for evidence for this that and the other, for a new virus with no cure where scientists were still learning! They were demanding the impossible all the time. The more info that was released, the more questions they asked. They were belligerent in the extreme, thought they knew better than everyone, were very selective with their facts and the experts they selected to quote, and let's be honest, the leadership couldn't be any further left of the far left. The NEU never consulted properly, has its own agenda, this nonsense about not marking books was the last straw and well, I don't care about them now. They lost the argument as of today, look like they are all bluster, look very silly now and they have at least one less member.

alex_teccy likes this.
  10. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I'm sure they will be happy to see you go!

adultsocialcare likes this.
  11. adultsocialcare

12. jcaulfield

jcaulfield New commenter

Unfortunately the creation of a "Super-union" has created issues as many people didn't join the ATL to be swallowed up into a union that is being dominated by the NUT. The abuse levelled at people by the more "radical" elements (such an odd word to use when they are often twee middle-class types) on the NEU FB forums for daring to take a dissenting view on just about anything was horrific. It is even scarier to think that those who participate are allowed anywhere near young, impressionable people. If the letter of the law were applied fully when it comes to political views in schools, a lot of people would be out of a job!

I bailed out of the NEU (recent membership numbers suggest many others are doing the same) and joined Edapt. Gives me legal cover and representation without the politics. Not for everybody I know, but I'm happy with it. 5 quid less a month than the NEU too.

13. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I hope you'll be handing back any future pay increases or improvements in conditions then, because you'll only get them off the back of union members being willing to take action. Edapt won't help you when redundancy notices come round either.

14. strawbs

Would those be the 20,000+ extra members who have joined in the past 3 months?;)

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Please give examples and maybe mention which NEU FB groups you belong to, but I am a member of several and have never seen anything approaching abuse levelled at anyone. There is more abuse on TES than there!

As @strawbs has already pointed out, recent membership numbers suggest the exact opposite. Teachers and support staff (from all sectors) are joining in their thousands.

strawbs likes this.
  16. jcaulfield

jcaulfield New commenter

Not come here for snotty rebukes that only serve to prove my point anyway.

If you have figures for union membership that are up to date and showing major increases, I'd be interested to see them. As of 2018, they were falling rapidly:

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/teaching-and-leadership-union-membership-drops-to-lowest-level-since-2010/

Can you show evidence of a massive increase in the past two years?

I won't be handing back anything as I work in the Independent sector and pay has been decoupled there. We are also no longer in the TPS - the NEU did such a wonderful job there. It was like watching a poodle with no teeth.

If people on here are claiming that those more radical members of the profession don't spout off vitriolic attacks at those who disagree with them, it must be that a) you are one of them, or b)condone their actions. If you can't find any evidence, you are either lying or not on FB.

17. jcaulfield

jcaulfield New commenter

18. jcaulfield

jcaulfield New commenter

19. strawbs

yes I am party to such figures, hence why I quoted them. Not being at all defensive, merely stating up to date facts.

20. jcaulfield

jcaulfield New commenter

Saying you have facts without providing them is like Trump claiming he does his taxes.

There may well have been a short-term spike in memberships. Are they all new or have many revived their membership after letting it lapse?

Overall however, trade union membership has been falling since the 80s. Evidence attached. I don't think that trend is going to reverse in the long run. Most people just aren't that politically educated or aware, or just want to get on with things without strife.

Attached Files: