1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Horror as NEU in deep crisis as Labour slams belligerent leadership for putting children at risk

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Luvsskiing, May 14, 2020.

1. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Luvsskiing / Jonntyboy (probably the same person) have you ever considered getting out in the fresh air and taking up a worthwhile hobby, instead of trolling with hard right propaganda intended to annoy decent, hard working, honourable teachers?
    Its a waste of life.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  2. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Can you explain what is "hard right" about their posts?

TheHeadteachersOffice likes this.
  3. a1976

Troll feeding? More like voicing an opinion that you can seem to tolerate? LOL.

4. a1976

So they would be blocking you.

Lalad likes this.
  5. a1976

Please delete this post. I thought someone other than the OP had posted it.

6. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

The NHS are preparing for a second surge (although they cannot say this in the press for fear of recriminations).
    Anyone with a modicum of intellect will understand that the current drive to get pupils back into school is actually ‘get parents back into work’ to protect the U.K. credit rating and sustain investment.
    It will all end in tears (and I have shed an ocean of these in the past fortnight).

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Hard left BMA now have reservations about reopening schools

Jamvic, Ivanhoe, Catgirl1964 and 4 others like this.
  8. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Weird post!

Looks like you’ve made the point @slugtrial was making.
    LOL

9. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

That is so true. Why Reception and Year One have been chosen to return is baffling. Telling them not to touch anyone and stay 2 metres apart from their friends will be torturous for them. Schools have small classrooms and with oversubscribed classes there will have to be some serious thoughts about how this can possibly happen. Schools already have a number of staff shielding until the end of June so there will be less staff in school anyway.

Sally006, DaisysLot and nervousned like this.
  10. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Now the Children' Commission lays into the disgusting unions and slams them for their behaviour:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52685220

Endless squabbling, any excuse not to return to work and an agenda to score political points, not teach and safeguard children. Is it any wonder that the couple of dozen non-consulting hard-left leadership members of "education" unions are being held in contempt by so many across the country? This tiny number of people are shooting unions in the foot, as long-term, the backlash against them can only mean a tightening of their rights and more legislation.

This is nothing about 'elf and safety and everything about their political agenda.

Consult the members!!!! No to dictatorship!!!!

a1976 and TheHeadteachersOffice like this.
  11. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

If you want to be consulted JOIN the NEU
    I have been amazed at how good the NEU has been at consulting members. In my local area they have set up local Facebook groups, held online union meetings (larger than the real world ones of the past), sent out a survey as soon as the announcement about returning was made and regularly sent emails to members and reps.
    My experience is that school staff, especially support staff, are joining NEU and completely behind their stand. The NEU are not against opening schools but it needs to be done in a sensible way.
    Why on earth would you open primaries with the youngest (harder to socially distance, not good at personal hygiene, known as carriers in normal times) and oldest (no longer invested in the curriculum - perhaps bring them back for the last few weeks for a leaving experience).
    Start with years 4 and 5 but only when there are testing, hygiene and distancing procedures in place.
    I wonder if some if the posters on this website have any sense of social responsibility, professionalism or even care about children and families.

12. lsnewyorky

lsnewyorky New commenter

Luvsskiing please can I ask out of interest what year will you be teaching when we go back? Also how many days a week do you currently go in for key worker school at the moment?

13. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Horror as BBC and other responsible media sources reveal more of the context of the government decision:

On Wednesday, MPs were bemused when a Department for Education adviser indicated a lack of oversight over the way schools are being asked to reopen.

Osama Rahman said the decision to reopen schools was not made by the DfE.

When asked what assessment he had made, as the chief scientific adviser for the department, of how effective guidance on safe reopening of schools was and how it might be implemented, he said: "I haven't." BBC

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As expected, we read the article very differently.
    Even the NEU's own FB group largely like the article!

Lidnod likes this.
  15. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

NASUWT backs down completely with a grovellingly apologetic 180 degree about turn:

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...work-with-ministers-to-reopen-english-schools

Teachers everywhere, the Children's Commission and the Government are celebrating as common sense has broken out amongst this Union's leaders. The hope now is that all teaching unions start behaving positively, instead of putting idiotic political obstacle after idiotic political obstacle in the way of getting kids back to school, and especially getting the poorer ones in safe environments, properly cared for and fed.

The next step is for this union and indeed all of them to start a consultation process with the half million teachers desperate to work and care for children. Pigs might fly during this world crisis, of course, but hopefully, the few dozen Little Putins "leading" the education unions along this path will do it, as they realise that they cannot just behave belligerently like they have over the previous years. They must now actually be practical, helpful, adaptable, positive, collegiate and accommodating for the good of everyone .......

Well done NASUWT. Whinging and whining helps no one.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  16. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

As the sub-heading of the article reads:

NASUWT chief says he backs government’s 1 June timetable if schools can be made ‘Covid-secure’

And who said anything else?

But making schools 'Covid-secure' won't be easy. Nor, I suspect, achievable by 1 June.

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think that's the NEUs agenda too.
    I do hope you're looking forward to seeing your class again.

a1976 likes this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As usual Luvsskiing has been back to the thread without responding to your post or anyone else's.

However the answer is in his past posts on other threads. He isn't a now teacher (he's long retired) and doesn't live in the UK so your question won't arise! That probably explains why unions haven't consulted him. He isn't a member of any of them :rolleyes:

Jamvic, letap, Ivanhoe and 7 others like this.
  19. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

Making schools a risk-free environment will not be possible in June, September or January 2021. In fact it will not be possible until there is a vaccine, as the unions well know.

20. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Did you not say - when you were Greenfleas123 - that you and your SMT in your imaginary free school were self isolating early whilst all the other staff were "encouraged to work"?

Actually this is a really interesting thread where a fantasist; someone who couldn't hack teaching in the UK - now tasting the "fruits" of South East Asia and alt right witless trolls are encouraging us back into school.
    I think, perhaps, I will follow union advice.

littlestrebel and Ivanhoe like this.