1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Horror as NEU in deep crisis as Labour slams belligerent leadership for putting children at risk

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Luvsskiing, May 14, 2020.

1. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

swampyjo likes this.
  2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

3. Luvsskiing

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

@Luvsskiing I liked your TES persona much better when you stuck to tell us about your many holidays on the Retirement forum! Hard to understand why someone who has been retired for many years would be so obsessed with current teaching unions.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Because that "One teacher" is you isn't it @Luvsskiing?

No-one on your link said it and the only record of it anywhere online is your post,,,,

What a wag you are :D

6. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

It has been clear for some time that the teaching unions have been taken over by the same far-left Marxist cabal that until recently also controlled the Labour Party.

I appreciate that unions will naturally have concerns about any return but I think they’d be far better engaging with the government and discussing the safety measures they want to see rather than obstinately putting up barriers.

Other countries seem to have managed a re-opening process without the hysterics and wailing from unions.

7. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

you can’t compare us to Denmark. Denmark have had less than 600 deaths

Happyregardless and Lalex123 like this.
  8. slugtrial

slugtrial New commenter

I hope the mods are keeping an eye on this thread.

It’s just about ok at the moment but could easily degenerate into a tedious troll feeding 10-pager.

I’ll leave you to it.

9. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

So, irrespective of who posted the link and where it came from, it referred to a statement by David Blunkett.

This is the gist of it:

"Blunkett [...] said ministers and teachers needed to work together to figure out how to get children safely back into the classroom as soon as possible.

He warned it is the least well-off in society who will be worst affected by the continued coronavirus shutdown of education institutions.

He said reopening schools is a 'matter of risk' and that teachers will likely have to accept that in the same way that supermarket staff and care workers have.

" [...] he was 'deeply critical' of [the NEU], which has told its members not to work with the Government on its planning for reopening schools from June 1. "

So, instead of reading the argument and engaging with it rationally, the response from the left on here has been to 1) post a yawn meme and 2) suggest that it isn't worth discussing.

That's a shame, because a) it is a sensible comment and hardly extreme and b) it goes to the heart of education, which is what some of us who post on here are involved in.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who disagrees with Blunkett's comments as to why that is.

One wonders increasingly whether many on here are really bothered about schools and kids at all, or whether they simply come here to post facile, leftist, political points. :-(

swampyjo, jcaulfield and boatie like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

People regularly try to engage with the OP to debate his posts with him but the OP constantly refuses to debate or discuss or respond in any way, rationally or otherwise, to anyone. Neither on this thread nor on OP's many others (many now removed by mods).

It seems to me a misconception of the purpose of unions to argue that should be supporting the re-opening of schools or trying to find a way to re-open them. Unions exist to protect and promote the the interests of their members. Nothing else. They do not exist to help the government achieve its policy objectives. They aren't part of some corporate state. It may or may not be good for the economy to re-open schools in June, but that isn't the unions' responsibility to secure that.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Care workers have PPE (to some degree) and a higher rate of infection and death than comparable groups.

I was at the supermarket earlier.
    I didn't:
    Hug any of the workers; lick their arms; sneeze in their faces; cough on them; need them to change my trousers and pants; etc etc
    Not a comparable situation.

12. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

The other issue is that the government do ot have an advisory group of Heads/ practitioners etc so they only engage with the unions.

13. Luvsskiing

@Jonntyboy

Sadly, the same posters try to derail forum discussions again and again. It's a forum. People post what interests them. The huge amount of criticism of the NEU is astonishing, but Blunkett's devasting intervention today is really illuminating. Here's an ex-Labour education Secretary of great standing really laying into this hard left leadership.

I do think the moderators need to block the posters who try to stop people expressing views, who attack posters instead of POV. They need to stop posters who spend their time insulting people, derailing discussions and preventing the forum from operating as intended.

14. Rott Weiler

I fully agree. People should be willing to discuss the thread topic.

Have you reported these posters to mods? With what result?

Jamvic and TheoGriff like this.
  15. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Oh great, a thread dominated by someone who runs an imaginary school and someone who has spent many a ten dollar in South East Asia.

Morgelyn and harsh-but-fair like this.
  16. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

In an effort to be helpful, here is what I think you MEANT to put:

'What particularly upsets teachers is being "advised" aka told by the Government to follow guidelines that are impossible to implement, and all without a single bit of consultation with the NEU.'

(You're welcome :))

17. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

But they haven't engaged with the teaching unions.

They didn't engage with the DFE's scientific advisor either.

They delayed going into lockdown and now they want to come out too early.

18. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

I use the word ‘engage’ advisedly. Comparatively speaking. The Gov have spoken to unions but it seems no one else. I didn’t say engage effectively either.
    If you prefer I will use the word ‘interact’.

19. Luvsskiing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52669441

Looking at the BBC this morning, it looks like the NEU are thankfully backing down bigtime after a tsunami of criticism from all political directions over the last week, and especially the Labour Party. The hard left leadership, who have not consulted its members, are ignoring the wishes of the vast majority of teachers, and are putting children in so much danger with their belligerent and obstructive attitude. They are finally seeing sense and are meeting with the Government's advisors, looking very contrite and pathetic. This after repeatedly publicly stating that they knew better than the scientists what the best way forward was, based on scientific advice!!!!

This hard left leadership clearly to everyone has an agenda rooted in its politics, to dictate not consult, and to cause as many problems as it can during this crisis, wrapped up in a facade of looking out for its membership. They seem to be the only ones in the union determined to collect their salaries whilst not working for as long as possible with obstacle after silly obstacle. Teachers just want to help and teach the children. Why don't those in the leadership? I would suggest Putin himself couldn't have instructed them to do a better job.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  20. Luvsskiing

Jonntyboy likes this.