1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Horrific lesson

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by lizfee, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am heartbroken today.I think today was the worst day of my career. I've been teaching for 3 and a half years and have had a few issues with behaviour,but nothing more than run of the mill really. Today 4 boys in my extremely weak year 10 class pushed me so far that I cried in the lesson. (This has never happened to me before). I have been crying on and off since the lesson (at 1 today).They swore, verbally abused me, completely disrespected me and their intention was to make me cry. (Again,have never experienced this) Eventually the boys ran away (literally ran out of school!) The deputy head had come to the room, but the boys had gone by then. Usually I can cope with whatever is thrown at me,but I was feeling low already today and I felt like prey. The worst thing is the deputy head simply passed this back to the pastoral manager and he didn't even speak to the boys himself. I feel so unsupported by SMT and I don't know how to face back into my class tomorrow...Sorry for rambling on, but I just really needed to vent somewhere.

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

I just wanted to say how sorry I was to read about your disturbing and upsetting experience. This is NOT acceptable, and for God's sake don't in any way blame yourself, or internalise the responsibility for this incident. You have been appallingly mistreated by these teenagers, and it sounds like your line management might be compounding the problem by failing to support you.
    What happened to you was assault, intimidation and harassment- all of these things are legally actionable and you would deserve the full support of the law in this matter. Just because it happens in a school doesn't exclude the normal codes of society.
    You would, in my opinion, be perfectly entitled to take a day off tomorrow if you felt that it had seriously upset you, and by the sounds of things it has- and who can blame you? You were attacked and they attempted to humiliate you. Seriously- have a day at home to gather yourself- it's not a 'sickie'; it's a legitimate day to recover from a violent incident.
    Email or phone the school to ask them to explain what is being done. For all you know they may be taking it seriously. But if any pupil lifts a hand to a teacher, they need to be excluded, and preferably permanently. If the school isn't going down this route (and please make sure that you have reported it thoroughly to enable the school systems to take effect) then you should immediately contact your union rep, and I would suggest call the police yourself. The school doesn't own you; it doesn't own your legal right of redress, to which you are so entitled. Advise them that this will be your next steps IF they don't take action themselves, and I would recommend that they should phone the police themselves.
    If they're not looking after you properly then you'll have to do it yourself. You sound like you deserved so much better, and I wish you the very best in the next days and weeks.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I don't feel that I can add to Tom's good advice but I would like to express my sympathy. I hope you are at least feeling a little better by the time you read this.

4. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Seconded! That sounds terrible, and disgraceful.

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

We have all had terrible lessons. The students in your case were acting in an illegal manner and were bent on maximum disruption. Nothing you could have done would have made any difference. Go straight to the cops. Demand criminal charges. Ignore appeals from SMT and unions to deal with the matter quietly. Demand severe legal and school consequences and dont be fobbed off.

6. sparklyeyes

sparklyeyes New commenter

I have been in a similar situation to that of the OP.

Now, at the risk of being contentious...........I know that a lot of behaviour can be attributed to home/parenting etc. but I also believe that the current system of education where everybody is expected to be as good as each other, no grammar schools (unless they are paid for), no technical schools as there used to be and so on, does not do some of our pupils any good at all. Some students just simply CAN'T do the academic work that is demanded of them. Not that this excuses the way they behave of course, I am not condoning that.

Let's face it, not everybody can be doctors, teachers, lawyers etc. And unfortunately, we are always going to need people who will be satisfied doing menial jobs. No disrespect, but that's just life I'm afraid.

7. '....satisfied doing menial jobs. No disrespect, but that's just life I'm afraid...'
    In the current economic climate, there are going to be many people who'll be lucky to get any job at all. And even if they do, they certainly won't last long in them if they don't, at the very minimum, learn 'appropriate' behaviour. But these days, if you try to 'teach' them that, they threaten to sue you......