1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Horrid taste?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by FoundationStage!, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hi Harriet, I had a revolting taste all last week although wouldn't have called it metallic. It was more like a drain even after I brushed my teeth - yuck! This week it has gone and my sense of smell is not so sensitive and I wonder now whether the two are related..? I suppose I will never know! Peppermint tea might help you, I spent a lot of time sucking polo mints. I am sure it's normal, everyone talks about the metallic taste althought it is a strange phenomenon!
    9+5

2. bluecharmer

bluecharmer New commenter

Nooooooooo! I had that around the same time as you, it only lasted about a week, but has come back at different stages - only usually lasting a couple of days at a time.
    At it's best it can be overpowered with food, drink, or sucking on a sweet. At it's worst it makes you want to be sick. Last week (13 weeks) it tasted like someone had sprayed perfume in the back of my mouth and anything I tried to get rid of the taste just made it more potent.
    I think the best thing I have found is chewing gum or sucking on a strong flavoured sweet!
    xx

3. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I never actually had this while pregnant, but while trying to conceive. My hormones were all over the place it seems. It was very metallic and I also had sore underarm glands so was convinced I was pg. Hubba Bubba chewing gum worked well, just make sure you spit it out before going back into the classroom! All the best for your pregnancy, I'm suddenly brrody again with a 6 month old! xx