1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HORRID HENRY

Discussion in 'Book club' started by JU3fromLeics, May 19, 2013.

1. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

I really like the character Horrid Henry, but there are so many books to choose from!

Has anyone got a favourite to recommend which they personally enjoy and/or works well with a primary class?

2. gruffaloschild

gruffaloschild New commenter

I agree they are good for primary kids all the way through.

The one about the supply teacher is good as I am currently doing supply so if I need something to do with the class HH works. Also the first one I think, HH's Perfect Day is good to get the children introduced to the characters. There is also quite a good cartoon that I sometimes let them watch as a reward for working hard.

3. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Yes, the first one is good for introducing the main characters. But after that, just pick a title that might fit in with what's happening in your class. (Tooth Fairy, Getting Married, New Teacher.)

I read them to 6- and 7-year-old Spanish kids (immersion school) and they love them (although I do have to explain a lot of the vocab. The reason they like them is because they've been translated into Spanish and Horrid Henry is called Pablo Diablo (Pablo the Devil). Hilarious.

4. JU3fromLeics

I've decided that "Horrid Henry and the Football Fiend" is a definite choice!

I'm also looking forward to including some of the Christmas stories in December.

5. JU3fromLeics

The Horrid Henry "Christmas Cracker" collection includes a story in which Horrid Henry attempts to ambush Santa.

[​IMG]