1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Horrible 'review' comment on free resource

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by clangercrazy, May 17, 2019 at 10:19 PM.

1. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

1 of my free to download resources has had a horrible comment left on it along the lines of 'it doesn't work and the person who made it should kill themself'.
    How can I have this removed please?
    Sincerely hope the person is not a teacher.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

That is awful and I understand how upset you must be @clangercrazy
    Have you reported the comment? You can report from the resource - REPORT A PROBLEM button just below the preview or send an email to TES.

You can also report from the FAQ page here:
    https://www.tes.com/help/resources-faq

What should I do if I spot an inappropriate comment on a resource?

We will remove a review from a resource page if we deem that:

• The review is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise discriminatory
    • The review is based on a customer being unable to access it due to a technical error
    • The review makes untrue claims that are in contradiction to factual information supplied in the description

Click here to report a review, be sure to include the details of the review and why it should be removed.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 10:53 PM
    bonxie and blueskydreaming like this.
  3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I have found the comment on your resource.
    The profile of the 'reviewer' states that they are a student who joined in 2019. They have not contributed to the forums at all.
    It would be interesting to see if they have been on a blitz and left other upsetting reviews.

Tagging @TES Resource Team
    @TESAuthorTeam

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 11:00 PM
    Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. clangercrazy

Many thanks Marlin - much appreciated.

marlin likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I really sympathise...I have had some really odd and offensive comments left recently and they seem to be made by trolls. TES did remove some but, as sales have really stopped for me since the changes, it is another reason why I won’t be uploading new stuff.

clangercrazy likes this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

The problem is, often not all the reviews are taken off. Then the author may reply out of understandable frustration and then the review pages starts to look bad. Some of them said they thought they hade been cruelly swindled etc etc as they wanted more resource for what they paid (quality or quantity?) turns out they did not download it properly and were impatient. The whole thing is really off putting and authors are powerless to stop these negative reviews being posted. Even Ebay has a better system than that!

clangercrazy likes this.
  7. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

That is horrible. Offensive comments should always be reported (there is a "report" link next to the reviewers name on the product page) and TES will remove them.

If it is purely a technical issue then TES will remove that review, if you report it. If they are saying something else such as they wanted more, then TES will leave it as that is deemed a valid review as it is their opinion (even if you make it clear in the description about what is included).

I had a 3 star review because somebody thought it was unfair that I hadn't used the identical descriptions of key phrases that was published in a text book they liked (they wanted them copied exactly)! I replied that because of copyright law that would not be possible and was not something I was prepared to do.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    bonxie, Mrsmumbles and clangercrazy like this.
  8. VirtuallyQatarted

VirtuallyQatarted New commenter

I just put up a comment on this thread and I can't see it. That was taken down pretty fast LOL wish a comment with one star because they having trouble DOWNLOADING one of my resources was taken down as quickly.

clangercrazy likes this.
  9. VirtuallyQatarted

How awful! I am so sorry you had to suffer this abuse. Reading the replies to this sounds like a student. Where on earth do they get those things from about people killing themselves? Maybe people like that should go on a session with some relatives who had loved ones kill themselves. Terrible, terrible.

clangercrazy likes this.
  10. clangercrazy

Thank you everyone who took the time to reply. Have reported it. Hope it goes now. Can't see why it wouldn't.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. That is horrendous and I would guess a troll - not a teacher. I hope Tes removed it quickly x

bonxie and Mrsmumbles like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Fair points, but the fact remains that buyers can still, at present, leave very unhelpful reviews. They may be valid. My subject, English, is incredibly subjective to start with! It just is not worth the risk when other sites have mediation or ‘we will refund you back at once but you won’t keave a horribke review’ systems in place which keep the traffic flowing and the uploads and downloads happening.

13. Mrsmumbles

I had one from a user called Bigrents who seemed to have purchased the files to just mock the contents...i think it was a TES pick guide to persuasive writing features I had made. Not fancy, but did the job and has worked well for years with the kids. I got ‘ladies and gentlemen: the future of English education: a worksheet.’ Er....doh...the clue was in the resource title worksheet! And this was a TES pick!
    They are still leaving negative reviews etc. No,not happy with the review systems at TES....it means well, but there are too many free passes for trolls.( I nearly just typed ‘free lasses for trolls’, which alters the meaning a fair bit...)

VirtuallyQatarted likes this.
  14. VirtuallyQatarted

Good luck with reporting. I have reported a one star comment days ago and NOTHING! They will get ZERO from me on their help. It's all Grab, GRAB, advert, and NO help. Is there a help on TES? Not since this new crowd got in

15. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

They do get back to you eventually, it just takes a few days as I don't think they have as many staff as they could do with. You're better off reporting through the 'report' form than emailing in though. Good luck!

nwilkin likes this.
  16. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

I think if a review is valid it should be left as it may inform others about potential limitations. By twisting it so that users get a refund rather than telling other customers about any problems it makes the whole system biased as you are only allowing positive reviews which doesn't give a realistic review of the product.

I know trolls are out there but most reviews are from genuine customers. I can only go on my own experience but out of my last 50 reviews, for example, I have had one who scored low because of a technical fault and that was removed by TES, all the rest have valid comments. Thankfully most are 4 or 5 stars but of the lower rated resources they both had a valid points (one contained a mistake I made which I have since rectified and the other because it didn't quite fit what they wanted) . Out of all 763 reviews I have to date, only one has been abusive and had to be removed.

If we start telling people they can not leave any negative comments it makes the whole review system invalid. They may not always be "helpful" to us as they can be subjective but as long as they have their opinion on the product and should be able to voice it. If several people want to leave less than favorable reviews on a particular product but they are always blocked by the moderator the author will not know there is a problem and it will go unchanged. This will cause more customers to be dissatisfied, potentially turning them off from purchasing from TES in the future.

Obviously abusive reviews should always be removed as soon as possible.

17. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions on this. As has been said already, if a resource review is offensive or inappropriate please report it to authors@tes.com so that our customer service team can remove it. We do, indeed, also look to remove reviews that comment on website functionality instead of commenting on your resources.

[Richard]

nwilkin likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

But so many buyers do not bother to leave reviews on purchases they ae actually quite happy with...this approach leads to a skewed and biased system in a different way...it is still unbalanced and not fully representative.