1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Horrendous leg cramps in the night!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon2980, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Lately, I'm being woken at all sorts of odd hours by agonising, horrible cramp in my calf muscles. Occasionally in my feet too. It's so painful and sudden that it wakes me up and I have to get out of bed to walk around to get rid of the cramp.
    Understandably, this is not endearing me to my husband. It's also knackering me as it takes ages to get back to sleep. :-(
    Anyone else had this problem or know what might be causing it?
    Feel it's a tad too trivial to bother the doctor with.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lately, I'm being woken at all sorts of odd hours by agonising, horrible cramp in my calf muscles. Occasionally in my feet too. It's so painful and sudden that it wakes me up and I have to get out of bed to walk around to get rid of the cramp.
    Understandably, this is not endearing me to my husband. It's also knackering me as it takes ages to get back to sleep. :-(
    Anyone else had this problem or know what might be causing it?
    Feel it's a tad too trivial to bother the doctor with.
    Thanks in advance.

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I've suffered for years with this - often with several different muscles cramping at once so unable to 'stretch' them out. At the worst point I was only getting 20 mins sleep at a time as every time I dropped off I'd get cramp and have to leap out of bed. I found taking extra calcium (suggested by GP) helped for a couple of years, although they took a while to kick in - maybe a couple of weeks. (Boots do a pleasant soluble one with vit d). When these stopped working, the GP prescribed quinine bi-sulphate which worked like a dream, but has left me with tinnitus.
    I was taken off the quinine last year when I had my transplant and have had to go back to calcium which isn't as effective now for me, but better than nothing. I have spent time researching it all as it can dominate my life, but it seems there are no other drugs/answers. I have read it can point to anaemia, and I my blood counts are constantly below average, so that might be the reason for mine.

4. Thank you so much, joli. I am prone to anaemia, so this could be the reason.
    I think a trip to the GP might be in order, as we can't go on like this. Will try the Boots product in the meantime.
    Thanks again for such a swift and comprehensive response. :)

5. Hoping it might be something less drastic - I used to have this in my twenties and my doc said it was lack of salt. Turns out my bedroom was too warm, meaning I would sweat in the night (I didn't feel sweaty) and I didn't have salt in my diet. He said to eat some peanuts if I went out of an evening or just put a bit of salt in my cooking (I never used to put any in anything). It happens maybe once a year now.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Unless my feet are warm and out of draughts, I get bad cramps in them during the night. I've taken to wearning bed socks and this has worked very well. My feet hae always been susceptible to cramps when cold.

7. Many thanks for the additional replies, ladies. :)
    I'll try the bedsocks (have always liked the idea of bedsocks). The bedroom is usually quite cool, as I don't like to be too warm at night. However, when I do wake up with these cramps, I'm invariably lathered in sweat. Maybe it's my age (47)?
    I do eat a lot of salt though, so I'm not sure if lack of salt culd be the problem.

8. suefla

suefla New commenter

My husband suffered with the same problem. A friend here in the states, suggested that he drink a large glass of tonic water (it contains quinine) daily, and since he has had no problems.

9. This is a symptom of Hypothyroidism - ie an underactive thyroid - so I would see your doctor and ask for a blood test.
    Good luck

10. Thanks Jean & sue. Struggling to get an appointment within the next month! Doc only does an evening surgery one day a week and it's chokka.
    Have booked in for Feb and will try the tonic water, a bit more salt and bedsocks in the interim to see if that makes a difference.
    Thanks again for all the kind responses.

11. I would second the comment of hypothyroidism being an underlying cause. I had the same thing, cold hands and feet, and cramps constantly. I am now on thyroxine and have warm hands & feet and the odd cramp! you might like to look at the other wide ranging symptoms that are so generalised that you would not bother a doctor - I went a few times over a year because of tiredness, lack of energy and not feeling quite right nothing I could put my finger on then when i had palpatations and could barely stand straight I was tested and told I was just over the boarderline, but entering the menopause can exacerbate the symptoms. Wishing you good luck at the doctors