1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hoping to get into Leicester

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by h4zelh, Feb 16, 2011.

1. I have an interview at Leicester in march and am very nervous. I have a holiday booked 12-26th September and am now worried that it may clash with the start of the course. The Leicester term dates are 4th October but in the stuff they sent me they said it starts in September. Should I mention this at interview??

2. The course is the start of September and I you need to be there. The first week of September is a placement you have to arrange yourself. I only know because I went to interview. You can't miss important things like that I wouldn't think!

3. Yup you HAVE to be there around the first week in September, think it's the 5th. So it's unlikely you'll be able to take 2 weeks off at that time I would think...

4. I will be around the first week of September. It is the 2 weeks after that I wont be here for. What happens the weeks after the one week placement??

5. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

There's no way around it, you are going to have to cancel your holiday if you get on. Your uni won't allow you to take time off, you will miss a load of stuff and frankly - speaking as someone waiting to hear if they have a place or not - it's not really fair on the students who don't get in.

6. I am trying to find out if them 2 weeks are uni weeks becasue the placement is the first week in September when I am around. Leicester term doesnt start til 4th October, so after the placement the first week of september does the course start or does it start at the terms start on 4th October

7. PGCE does not follow the same term/semester dates as other taught courses.
    They all start in September and I doubt they would allow you time off for a holiday!
    I also think that if you mention this at interview they will doubt your commitment to the course and I would think that would reflect badly and so your are slashing your chances of getting a place anyway!
    If you really want to do the PGCE this year (before fees triple next year!) just cancel the holiday!

Plenty of time for summary holidays when we're all qualifies teachers! :)

8. Term starts September not October - It is at university, but I agree with the post above, it shows a lack of commitment. How you think you can go away on holiday for 2 weeks in the first few weeks and miss the most important part I really don't know. Clearly shows where your priorities aren't. I feel sorry for all the people who don't get places and are really dedicated...it is not right to go on holiday. I would personally kick someone off the course, there is no way they would ever catch up. The workload is immense.