1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hoping somene might post . . . .

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by airy, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Don't lie to get time off sick.

2. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

Absolutely. However I have come to work with dreadful stomach cramps (I have IBS) when I could have had a day off but I struggled in - more in my nature. I am starting to think that I am going to stop struggling and start thinking of myself occasionally.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

For IBS, consider the following:
    Yakult probiotic 'drinks'- the no sugar variety;
    Actimel yoghurt drinks;
    Manuka honey (at least 15UMF)- a heaped tespoon per day (antispectic and anti-bacterial and great for the throat and the gut);
    Aloe Vera juice;
    Peppermint oil capsules;
    Linseeds(one teaspoon per day added to yoghurt, soup, custard etc, so that you swallow most of it without breaking the seeds. They swell up in the stomach/gut and aid smooth transit through the gut). Other seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, sesame etc also beneficial - I have multi-seed bread most days);
    Garlic capsules (one or two per day);
    Medical hypnosis is also very beneficial for giving you the skill of calming your gut when you are out and get the sudden spasms and urgency.

4. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

I love Yakult. But I haven't tried peppermint oil or linseeds...
    I'll give it a go.

Thank you for all your advice and support

5. Your employer has a legal duty to provide support. You must have NQAT time, PPA time as well as mentoring. If stress is causing illness and I believe that IBS will be exacerbated by stress, so do contact your doctor and he/she can tell you if time off would be necessary to let things calm down.
    The Sage

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

It really winds me up to hear NQTs and student teachers talking about the lack of mentor support inschools and then reading about them giving up and just getting on with it (not angry at the NQT by the way, just the shoddy management of induction).
    More and more, schools and putting NQTs in one-year contracts and then just getting rid of them if they don't like them. This way, they seem to think they can relieve themselves of their responsilities to train and nuture a new teacher and develop their skills.
    If you haven't got mentor support and the correct documents are not being filled/correct meetings being held etc then you MUST be more pro-active and speak up about it. It's THEIR JOB to do it.
    Go to the person with overall responsibilty for NQTs (it's usually one of the assistant or deputy heads) and explain what you should be getting and what you are getting. If you get no joy, then you mut contract the LA NQT/induction officer immediately, and your union.
    Meanwhile, keep a diary of every time you ask for support and it isn't given.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I wish I'd had a year contract, I might have completed the year then rather than resigning... Whole system is a shambles... x

8. Had to reply to this. I have had nothing in terms of mentoring or cpd despite asking fo it but am on a temporary contract. I am very pro active and have struggled sometimes but I feel that if I was to start making waves then it could affect my references and whether or not I pass.

I very much feel 'used and abused' and I am sure there are people in worse situations than me. One thing it has made me determined to do is to be a mentor so that I can support others.

Personally I think that when you leave ITT you should at least be guaranteed a year so that you can fully qualify somewhere. As it stands I am now going elsewhere for my second term but I really wish that I had the chance to have proper mentoring and support and Cpd etc. When you read some of the fantastic posts about positive experiences I really wonder if I had had that how much of a better Teacher I would be.

I love teaching so much and am desperate to learn and be a better teacher, on the positive side at least I know that if I do get the chance to work in a great environment, hopefully I will improve very very quickly!

9. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I've stuggled very much in my NQT post for various reasons. I was at the point just before February half term where I couldn't sleep at night, then struggled getting up and dreaded going in to school. I was a mess and felt ill with stress.
    In the end I took a week of sick and said I had a virus. Yes I did lie about why I was off, but I was in fact ill from stress and not capable of going in. Having that week off really did help me and noone at the school questioned it on my return. There is so much staff sickness anyway that they seem used to it.
    I have been in my NQT role for 5 months now and for the first time I have actually stopped dreading it. If someone had said that to me even 3 weeks ago I would never have believed it. Not sure why I suddenly feel more positive but I think it is a combination of improved behaviour management skills on my part, finally having a better relationship with many of the students and other members of teaching staff are actually starting to talk to me when I try and make conversation.
    I have had a severe lack of support and only one NQT observation but on the other hand, the lack of support has meant I have hit the ground running and developed my skills quickly.