1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hope you haven't booked to go to the Canaries for half term . . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Oct 12, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A couple of days ago there started a volcanic explosion under the sea about 4 miles south of the island of Hierro. A new volcanic cone is forming.
    After saying that there was no danger to the population, yesterday the Govt changed its mind on receiving further information about the likelihood of a violent, explosive volcanic eruption nearer the island or actually on land, and the order came from Madrid to go to Red Alert.
    As a result, the villages at the sourthern end of the island have been evacuated, with people being put up in a secondary school gym, among other places.
    http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2011/10/11/espana/1318339342.html
    Only one person has been killed here in the last couple of hundred years due to volcanic activity, but they are taking no chances.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Canaries no, but just booked for Barbados at Easter. Bring it on!!!!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What, the Bajan volcano?

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Two more underwater eruptions yesterday, now 1.5 miles from the coast. They have asked the phone companies to lend them their remote-controlled video-equipped submarines to see what exactly is happening.
    The people who were evacuated two days ago were allowed home yesterday for only 30 minutes, to collect additional belongings. Whilst initially it was thought that it would be a short evacuation period, the authorities are now saying that there is no knowing how long they will be away from their homes.
    Some 60 tourists - mainly on diving holidays - were among those obliged to leave. A German resident who refused to leave her home was removed by force by the police.
    Best wishes

5. Oh b.ummer!! Just booked up to go Lanzarote at the end of the month. This to replace the holiday I had to cancel at the last minute in September after I mangled my fingers in the lawnmower the day before flying.
    And the only previous time I flew to the Canaries was when the Iceland volcano was causing mayhem.

Maybe I should just give up on going on holiday.. or maybe it is CurlySue's revenge for posting sarky comments on her Comet Elenin thread

6. Crikey. If the Canaries erupt, I wouldn´t be worrying too much about a half term holiday if I were you. The resulting tsunami across the Atlantic would probably take out the East Coast of the USA.

7. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Ooh, we've been following this story for a few weeks now in Spain as the tremors increased. I'd love to see an eruption although the 'strong smell of sulphur' being reported makes it seem a bit less appealing

8. I read some time ago that if the underground/sea volcano erupted, the resulting tsunami would affect the south of England and would swamp low lying countries like the Gambia which doesn't have any high ground at all. Don't know whether the wave(s) would be bouncing off the East Coast of America or taking the direct route but I do have an interest in the subject as I live in the south and have a holiday booked in The Gambia in November! Puts the hole in my ceiling into perspective...

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It's worse than that Jim!
    The Peak District National Park Authority has raised a 48hr Evacuation Notice.

10. Where are you getting this information from? My sister is there, I believe, but can't find out about this anywhere else.

11. http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/

It's calming down a bit according to this report! (Dekka's fingers firmly crossed as holiday hopes rise again).

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am an avid Kindler and get (free) Spanish newspapers delivered to my Kindle every day at crack of dawn.
    Front page news. Must be in the papers that your sister can buy, if she reads Spanish.
    Hope all well with your sister - quite an upsetting time.
    Best wishes.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Today's update:
    Boiling magma from a fissure only 150m below sea level has erupted and actually reached the surface of the ocean. Bits of hot rock in the sea . . .
    A no-fly zone has been declared.
    There is a video of the little bits of magma coming to the surface amid boiling the water on: http://www.elpais.com/articulo/espana/erupcion/Hierro/acerca/superficie/hace/peligrosa/elpepuesp/20111015elpepunac_3/Tes
    Ignore the advert before the real show begins - I apologise for it.
    There are also photos of the sulphur stain on the sea - taken from satellites, some of them. The spread of the stain is so large that it is clearly visible from outer space.
    Hierro is the island in the SW of the archipelago.
    Best wishes

14. Is the no fly zone across the whole of the canaries?