1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hope in world of darkness...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by VelvetChalk, May 30, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I supply at school quite close to me and I'm known to staff and most of the younger pupils. My agency booked me to work every Wednesday until summer which was nice. Get there and booking was actually cancelled as HLTA could now cover said day til Summer, agency had been too busy to cancel it so I looked a little silly. The school said 'oh sorry we will find something for you' and I was expected TA work for less pay.

However, they put me in my favourite KS1 class in the school and the teacher was only too pleased as she had so much to do.

Goes to show that there are still some honest schools out there that respect Supplies :)

2. VelvetChalk

I supply at school quite close to me and I'm known to staff and most of the younger pupils. My agency booked me to work every Wednesday until summer which was nice. Get there and booking was actually cancelled as HLTA could now cover said day til Summer, agency had been too busy to cancel it so I looked a little silly. The school said 'oh sorry we will find something for you' and I was expected TA work for less pay.

However, they put me in my favourite KS1 class in the school and the teacher was only too pleased as she had so much to do.

Goes to show that there are still some honest schools out there that respect Supplies :)

3. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Yes that might be so............BUT ..................... at the end of the day the HLTA was preferential to a qualified supply...... disgraceful.............. the profession is spineless to stand up to Government in favour of their fellow professionals.

4. Maybe the HLTA is a qualified teacher but works as an HLTA because they enjoy the teaching element but doesn't everything else that comes with it !!!!. I know several teachers working in this way.

5. And maybe not.

6. Another example of a school actually treating visiting staff like human beings from today:
    I've been working in one school for the past four weeks. Today was probably my last day, as the teacher I'm covering for has a sick note which runs out during half-term (though if she gets a new one they'll call me back again). Most schools I've been in have more or less ignored my presence, and I've barely spoken to SLT.
    Today, the Head (who I have seen around the school regularly, and who often pops in to check on one of the most challenging classes I've been teaching) popped into the department at lunchtime to bring me a Thank-You card.
    Totally unexpected, but very nice to feel appreciated for once. :)

7. VelvetChalk

Ah thats lovely!

On the HLTA covering classes issue, I have no problem with it- as as far as I am aware covering classes is part of their training and most HLTAs I have seen are awesome. I am quite against 1-3 level TAs covering however.