1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hooray - free of teaching unions!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by walnuthead, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hooray! I am free from teaching unions! (I thought my subs were up until Feb but no, until end December.) I feel surprisingly free and easy! I may join another, if the wind takes me, or I may fly by the seat of my pants and risk not paying the outrageous £180 or so a year for nothing. Or I may look into legal cover on its own, as I intended last year. But no more irritating emails and letters and posters about striking for me! Happy New Year everyone.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

<strike>Good riddance!</strike> Congratulations! [​IMG]

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Can you also promise not to post irritating comments about unions and strikes on here now, then?

4. No, of course not!

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I wouldn't be too sure about that, I joined NASUWT as a student and they still email me now despite me not paying to join up this year.

6. let's just hope you don't need them in times of any trouble?

7. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

..... and I trust any improvement in your salary that you may gain you will donate to a good cause?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In case anyone else is thinking of following this rather stupid example, let me say now, from the point of view of a Headteacher, that any teacher who is not in a Union is pretty daft.
    Pretty daft.
    What would you do if falsely accused of assaulting a child? Or of making inappropriate suggestions to one? Or if there is an accident to a pupil in your care at playtime - or in a classroom - and the parents sue you personally? Personally? Or if you are subjected to bullying by your HoD and need support? Or you are (unfairly in your view) selected for redundancy? Or sacked for something that you claim that you didn't do?
    To all of you who are not in one, I say: JOIN A UNION. NOW.
    J O I N A U N I O N
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

9. I agree.
    If you are really against striking then your best option is to join VOICE.

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Good luck negotiating your own Pay and Conditions and we all hope you never need to engage an employment lawyer .... and don't forget to pay your lawyer to look over the 'legal cover' you get, the small print in such arrangements can be very awkward, especially when it comes time to actually using it....

11. walnuthead - says it all really.

12. I've got cover that I need, elsewhere. Excellent.

13. Yeah, right... :p

14. As someone whom I usually greatly expect, I am seriously disappointed at this response. Talk about scare mongering. I have public liability cover for the first events. And legal cover. Secondly, if my head is bullying me, I would not hang about in the school, to be honest, life is too short. Nor should anyone else. But I also wouldn't be slow in shopping them to the governors, papers, anywhere else, should that ever happen, which it never has until now. Redundancy, well it happens. Sacked, they'd have to have a good reason and I have taken legal cover. And I shan't be paying the Labour Party's henchmen.

15. and your increase in pay, due to negotiations with the unions, will be donated to charity? probably not.

16. Definitely not. Don't be silly.

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

You didn't have to anyway. There's an opt out option.

18. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

..... well I just hope that all reports, planning, assessments, PM targets and anythinmg else is always done above and beyond the call of duty.
    If not, then tough ****.
    This attitide makes me really quite relieved I have only a few more years left before retirement.

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fair enough, Walnuthead.
    I write from my 40+ years of experience, 20+ at senior level, and knowing what can befall teachers, and how thay can really need support on occasion. You write from your experience. Each one is valid, doubtless.
    :)
    I nonetheless repeat: JOIN A UNION. NOW.
    J O I N A U N I O N
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

20. "Let him who wishes to be deceived, be deceived."
    Roman Maxim in Law. Says it all really.
    Good luck Walnuthead! I'll be thinking of you when I'm pounding the pavements this coming year, fighting for your pension mate!! Let's hope that liability cover doesn't get tested.