1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Hook' day for new topic. HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ll24g10, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hi there, My spring topic is based on NC contrasting UK locality and I've gone with Cornwall. Lots of ideas for the book corner (turn it into a seaside/deckchairs etc) but am really struggling to come up with a 'hook' day to kick it off. any ideas? We didn't have a hook day for the last topic so really keen to do it this time.
    Thanks

2. making cornish pasties or compaing samples from differnet storesand evaluating
    something to do with pirates?
    making sunhats
    sand art activities?
    sorry - out of ideas!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know the current trend is for a 'Hook Day, but I wonder if in the interests of variety you could try it from a different angle?
    The children in the class may come from different localities & so could you start off the day with a huge map & identify all the differing places, where the children have lived Ask the children to ask their parents to help them come up with a brief desription of that locality. Could look oline too.
    Then you could have some 'clues to Cornwall' ( in a 'feelie bag' to investigate & lead children to looking at possible coastal areas ending up with the Cornish pastie. Then look on the map where Cornwall is.So children are 'being detectives' for your 'hook day'.

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Build an Eden Project-style dome from newspaper & cling film? http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/educator/act_geodesic_ho.html