1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Honours list

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Dec 31, 2015.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Same old, same old! Why do we put up with it?

Mainly a bunch of irrelevant people who, although we like them, such as entertainers and sports men, plus those who give money to the party in charge at the time, get an invite for tea at Buck House and a few meaningless letters after their name.

However, it is all saved because sprinkled into the mix are a few people who actually deserve some form of honour from our society. Precious few though, and aren't they embarrassed to be amongst a bunch of over indulged self serving individuals?

What a stupid society we are! Allow me the crumbs from the table, oh you empowered! I am so grateful.

nomad, lexus300 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Because too many people secretly hope it might be them at some point.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  3. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

Why do we put up with it?

Put up with what, exactly? The whole honours system has been meaningless and corrupt for years: like the royal family who are notionally responsible for the awards, it represents absolutely nothing of any value or significance about our country.

So switch off the news bulletin, turn the newspaper page, and ignore those who preen themselves for having a new ribbon to put in their coats.

I repeat: what's to put up with?

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you're an Earl and you're awarded an OBE, does that make you an earlobe?

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Was I supposed to care either way?

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Lynton Crosby. For conspicuous service to the Tory party! Not even any pretence any longer.

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Given that an old friend has finally got well-deserved one after 40 years of hard, unrewarding and and rewarded work in her community, I'm going to be slightly more generous about them than you Sid

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Well, I think you have identified the problem quite well, so don't you want something to be done about it?

It is the privileged, rubbing the rest of us's faces in their self glorification. What chance do we have of gaining an equal society, when we simply allow the rich and privileged to pat each other on the head twice (?) a year in such an ostentatious manner. By "putting up" with it we are allowing the have's to keep what they have. and worse still, to get more of it.

What really gets my goat is that the vast majority of honours recipients are the already feted and over indulged people in the entertainments (which nowadays includes sports). What,-- what really have they done to be so indulged? I'm thinking of Barbara whats-her-name from Eastenders (?) who has become a Dame. For God's sake, why!!?

And then of course this year we have a real bit of cronyism with the guy, Crosby, who ran Cameron's election campaign or something.

9. grumpydogwoman

Trouble is that the 'deserving' people are tainted by contact with the likes of Lynton Crosby and Jimmy Savile and other high-profile recipients who are not held in very high esteem by the general public.

I would decline. Wouldn't want to be keeping company with the likes of Crosby.

(Not that I've done anything which would merit an honour but that doesn't seem to matter.)

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm genuinely pleased for your friend who has clearly earned honouring through the right way. But that is how they get us by sprinkling a few crumbs from the table.

We should have an honours system, but it has to be a real Honours system!

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'd forgotten about Jimmy Savile!

12. grumpydogwoman

lexus300 and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  13. PussyGraves

PussyGraves Occasional commenter

how does a real one work?

14. grumpydogwoman

We could maybe try a petition? Online voting?

NO nominations by the PM.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Online voting?

So that's 1D and the cast of TOWIE honoured then.

aspensquiver_2 and Noja like this.
  16. Didactylos4

And Strictly

lanokia likes this.
  17. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

So don't you want something to be done about it?

No: there are far more important things wrong with this country that need to be put right than this piffling prize-giving. It is meaningless and, like all meaningless things, should be ignored.

It is the privileged, rubbing the rest of us's faces in their self glorification.

Not so: clearly, the recipients of these awards feel glorified by them, but I am don't feel offended or belittled by them - if anything it makes me laugh - it's like a bad Gilbert and Sullivan opera [which is pretty bad] come to life. Just as you can tell what God thinks about money by looking at some of the people he gives it to, you can judge the value of the honours system by looking at the people who get honours. The majority of them are honoured merely for doing their [well paid and generously pensioned] jobs, or as rewards for political and/or financial favours [usually furtively and often semi-criminally] received or forthcoming. All of which verbiage is probably superfluous - any system that ennobles a crook, liar, cheat and thief like Jeffrey Archer is fundamentally flawed and should be abolished, and that is all there is to it.

As for the genuine awards - for voluntary community service - they should not be in the gift of politicians whether national or local, but within the communities where those individuals live, and they should have nothing to do an Empire than collapsed fifty years ago.

I agree that individuals who work tirelessly for their communities deserve recognition, although it is a fair question to ask if such recognition is their motivation? and, if it isn't, why should we bother to recognise it? Two neighbours of mine, a young couple, have raised getting on for £500K for the Children's Heart Foundation in the last seven years, and their motivation is their child, who was born with Fallot's Tetralogy which necessitated open-heart surgery at only six weeks old. No medal, piece of paper or statuette is going to mean more than seeing their child grow up.

18. Didactylos4

Quite often though "people who work tirelessly in their communities" start doing so because no-one else is and keep on going because no-one else will.
    And without them problems get more frequent and worse.

So yes they do deserve recognition and publicly on a wider stage than just their local communities.
    And I do mean recognition and not reward

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Or the PM's office.

20. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Yes but...many people work tirelessly and their contributions - for whatever reason - are not rewarded/recognised in this way.
    Fair?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.