1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by CaraShaldon, Oct 5, 2019.

1. CaraShaldon

CaraShaldon New commenter

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience of supply teaching in Hong Kong? Any indication of pay and benefits? I have seen roles advertised at ESF. Are these jobs easy/difficult to get? My partner is a maths teacher with 8 years experience. May also apply for full time maths jobs, but exploring options at the moment.

What private medical insurance is best for expats?

Thanks.

2. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Do you already live in HK? Or are you moving here with your job? Otherwise you will have a hard time getting a visa that allows him to work on only supply.

3. CaraShaldon

Moving in a few months, and he will be on a spouse visa.

Thanks

4. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

In which case, yes, ESF would be a great option. If he takes a full-time role with them, their benefits package is excellent and pay would be between £65k-90k per annum.
    I’m not sure what medical package they have but they will definitely have one for full time staff.
    Teaching here is a lucrative option - especially if it’s on a full time contract. I would be tempted for him to look off his own back, rather than through your visa, for a better deal.

5. gyselsolerswim

gyselsolerswim New commenter

What is ESF?

6. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

English Schools Foundation. They have many schools in Hong Kong.

7. gyselsolerswim

gyselsolerswim New commenter

Thanks!

8. CaraShaldon

Thanks.

Does anyone have any insight into supply with ESF?

9. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

https://recruit.esf.edu.hk/jobinfo.asp?jid=3006430

Decent supply teachers are hard to find in HK. Pay rates are fine, not great. Supply is an excellent foot in the door to getting a full time job. Longer term contracts (maternity etc) offer better terms and pay.

10. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

ESF tend to use their own retired or semi-retired teachers and I know that they have the usual anal bureaucracy that is well known here in Hong Kong. I would say it is one of the best jobs for a daily rate though. BUT you don't get any of the usual teachers package such as medical/bonus etc....AND you will need to have a PGCE AND a visa that allows you to work.