1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cupasoup28, Jan 8, 2016.

1. cupasoup28

cupasoup28 New commenter

I am wanting to apply for one of the jobs in Hong Kong but would like to have some advice with regards to my personal situation. I am a single parent and have a 17 year old son who has started college this year studying Engineering. He is looking to get an apprenticeship here in the UK.

If he goes over to Hong Kong with me, he will be joining year 13 in one of the schools. My worry is that there may be no options for him after he finishes year 13 apart from come back to the UK to go to University as he will not be able to get a job in Hong Kong but want him to stay with me for now until he is a little older. My other option is that I wait a few more years until he either finishes his education or have a job. The problem with this would be that he wouldn't be able to come to Hong Kong with me as a dependant and I presume he will need to look for his own job and get a working visa himself as an adult.

Has anyone been in this situation before or be able to give some advice please?

Thanks