1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lovely.lady, Jan 31, 2012.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I know housing is expensive so that one can be ticked off the list. What I would like to know is:-
    • general cost of living - supermarkets; utilities (including internet; landline; electricity, gas; water)
    • Any ground rent (rates. community charges - in Italy we pay a monthly charge to the management of the apartment complex currently paying Euro 250 per month on top of rent)
    • Lifestyle as a teacher with a child - is there plenty to do? Football, museums, out and about
    • Housemaid (or Ayi) monthly cost possibly live-out part-time. Is it possible to share an Ayi?
    • Can't afford HK Island so looking at New Territories or Lantau Island or Kowloon - will I be cutting myself off?
    • Can I get clothes and shoes made? I used to live in Shangers - so is there a fabric market?
    • What is it like working for the 'Foundation?'
    • What questions should I ask at interview on Friday? Only very brief experience of PYP! (1 year)
    • My motive for going there is career development plus a bit of saving to pay off UK mortgage within 3 years - so will I be able to?
    I would be grateful of any advice, snippets of useful information, do's and don'ts. I'm happy where I am but frustrated at the lack of CPD and opportunities - is this a good reason to move?
    Most important element - are people happy in HK?

2. Staffo

Staffo New commenter

Hi,

Supermarkets vary in price, some hugely expensive, some cheap. Utilities are affordable (this year, once again, the government is subsidising a HKD300 electricity rebate per month. I've haven't paid for any electricity in over six months now.

Ground rents, etc, are usually included in your monthly rent.

Loads to do here - a really strong outdoorsy culture, and the museums are superb. HK has a lot more green space than most people think.

Housemaids (called Ama here) are supposed to be employed full-time, but yes, you'll find part-time live-out easy to come by. Expect to pay HKD60 per hour, or a bit more.

No, you won't be cut off. Kowloon is very much more Chinese; Lantau has some great places to live (and also Discovery Bay, which some people love, especially those with young children - personally I think it's hell on earth!)

Yes, there you can get stuff made here, but most people cross the border to Shenzhen as it's cheaper (although getting less cheap as the Yuan gets stronger). There's a great fabric market there. Visas aren't cheap though.

The "Foundation" has it's ups and downs; you'll work harder than at many international schools, but will be paid well. CPD provision is generally good, and it's certainly better than most of the dodgy international schools you see from time to time. It'll look good on your CV.

Can't help you with interview questions, sorry!

Yes, absolutely. Many people have very rewarding careers without ever leaving Hong Kong. Education here is very highly valued and there are plenty of opportunities and a lot of outstanding teachers. I've paid off GBP60k from my mortgage in four years without really having to sacrifice much, although I don't have a child to support. But don't say that's your plan an interview; I'd suggest you talk portray it as a longer term plan. Teachers don't really start being effective after their first move out here from the UK until the third year.

Good luck with the interview!

3. lovely.lady

Its not my first international move!
    That's exactly the amount I want to also pay off but in three years.

I'm not afraid of hardwork, in fact I thrive on it!

Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

4. Hi,

Good luck to everyone applying for Hongers this year!!

I'm moving over in August to start teaching in a primary sector of an int. school... It'd be good to talk to/meet other teachers in a similar position; heading out to Hongers for the first time etc.

Hope everyone gets offered!!

D

5. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Logic would suggest that not everyone get offered - otherwise you would have a ratio of 1:1 interviewed candidates and positions - which I think would be[​IMG] highly unusual...

6. Unless you were applying for Nigeria....
    [​IMG]

7. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Does anyone know when the deadline for hearing back from ESF (secondary deadline) is? I've hear it can take ages, but have another job waiting for my response, which I don't want to string along for too long...

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

If you made the 1st short list, they should probably have already contacted you about interviewing, with decisions/offers to be made Feb. 15th to 20th.
    On the upside, if you haven't had a notice that all positions are filled, then there is still a chance. Although if you have an offer in hand, you may not want to wait for a 2nd round (if there is to be one).

9. arewethereyet

arewethereyet New commenter

Lottee, i'm in the same situation and have just received a job offer. ESF must lose a few candidates with taking so long deciding.

10. Lottee - I got my interview notice for secondary yesterday, stating I was part of a small select group. Not sure if that's increasing or diminishing my chances!

11. lovely.lady

Its OK - my interview letter also said I was part of a small select group!

12. wrldtrvlr123

Well, I would certainly hope that being part of a small, select group is better (increases your chances of receiving an offer) than being part of a large, unselect(ed) group. Interesting that they just sent out an interview request. Good luck!

13. arewethereyet

Anyone heard anything?

14. No and am starting to think its not a good sign! I had my interview on the 31st and was told I would know in two weeks...... not feeling particularly positive!

15. lovely.lady

I had my interview a week last Friday and was told it would be at least 2 weeks and they were interviewing right up til last week! So there's hope yet!

16. I was interviewed on Friday and told I wouldn't hear until this Friday at the earliest. They said that was the last day of interviews in the UK and still have some to do in Hong Kong this week, so don't give up for a while.

17. wrldtrvlr123

We were told decisions/offers to be made between the 15th-20th. I hope it's not much longer than that, as the anticipation is beginning to take its toll (unless its bad news, then perhaps I would prefer to have lived in hopeful, ignorant bliss for a few days more).

18. arewethereyet

I was advised it would be this week for primary, so wonder if they've started contacting their first choices.

19. I emailed and they said the principles are meeting on Friday so we would be emailed on either Friday or Monday

20. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Considering Hong Kong for an opportunity to save, er . . . no, no, no. You'd seriously save more living and working off in the UK. The ME is still the best place to go to save money in my book, based on my own experience.